Building block containing wood chips?

Discussion in 'Building' started by footprints, 25 Feb 2012.

1. footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I was cutting a small chunk out today to in an internal block work wall in a house built around 1984 to gain some clearance, when I noticed that what I took to be breeze block appeared to contain what looked like very small woodchips a bit less than 1mm or so thick, they were wood coloured not white so I figured they shouldn’t be anything nasty like asbestos :confused:.
    I supposed it to be some kind of lightweight block, as it’s an upstairs wall just resting on a timber bearer across the joists.

Does anyone know what it is called please? I would be interested to know as I haven’t come across it before, looking on the web there are a number of “new Green” products being promoted using wood chip but they seem to look more like straw or chipboard.

Best wishes,
    footprints.

2. urbanite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Commonly used '60s - '70's.

Lousy key for plastering. Take off any radiator under a window and the plaster usually comes off with the rad' brackets.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you both for your replies and yes had just what you described noseall, not on the same wall but I suspect it may be the same blocks, took off the rad brackets and close on 2 sq m of plaster came with it!

I would be intrested to learn if anyone knows if there was a general name for them, like other common types such as Thermalite or Breeze

Best wishes,
    footprints