Building Control are here to help you? Yeah right.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my building control officer came around to pass off two velux windows in my loft, I was asking him various questions with regards to having a proper loft conversion.

We were talking about where stairs could possible go etc.
Despite my ridge board being precisely 6ft 3in off the ceiling joists.

At no time did he say I could not have one, in fact he said "I've seen smaller loft conversions than that.".

So I then phone up a loft conversion company in Salisbury where I live and they said that theres no way I could have one unless I wanted to lift the roof as 6ft 3in is not enough especially as it will reduce by 3/4 inches after beefing up the floor.

In the building regulations it says nothing about the actual height of the room, only the height above the stairs needs to be 2m.

Whats going on?

Sponsored Links
Bad eggs in every basket, 'tis life.

Secondly, technically building control are inspectors/approvers not advisers.

I don't think it does, just the stairs as you say. Ask another company? They probably don't want the hassle of working with such little headroom. Is it really worth doing to regs if the final ceiling height will be so low? The halfway semi permanent option will probably be better financially.

Sponsored Links
There's no minimum height required for a ceiling in a loft conversion stipulated in the regs although you do need to achieve 1.9m headroom over the centre of the stairs. It would be a naff conversion if you could only achieve 1.9m but it could be done although you're suggesting you could only achieve about 1.8m anyway so its a no-no without some creative engineering, a roof-off job or a special dispensation from building control: building regulations are all at the discression of the inspectors, they are not neccesarily mandatory.

I don't think it does, just the stairs as you say. Ask another company? They probably don't want the hassle of working with such little headroom. Is it really worth doing to regs if the final ceiling height will be so low? The halfway semi permanent option will probably be better financially.

Yeah you could be right thanks mate. I mean low ceiling height is only an issue when you're walking from a to b. When you're in bed, watching telly or sat down a lowish ceiling is not a problem I would say.

My only option with regards to the stairs is to effectively reduce the ceiling in one room at the top of the stairs so that the landing is compliant.
I presume this is possible?? Seen this before?

All sounds like hassle, remember if there's no regs involved then you don't need to worry about headrooms or landings being compliant. Get some space saver type stairs, a good compromise between stairs and ladder. Can be pricey though so shop around or make your own.

I'm starting to contradict myself here, I started by telling you not to do a bodge loft conversion, now I'm saying keep it simple and take it out when you move. The costs and work involved to get it certified are not worth it imo if you'll only have headspace for a hobbit.

I believe there is a minimum ceiling height in the building regs but its not where you would expect to find it. I cant remeber where it is at the moment but will post further advice if I can find it.

All sounds like hassle, remember if there's no regs involved then you don't need to worry about headrooms or landings being compliant. Get some space saver type stairs, a good compromise between stairs and ladder. Can be pricey though so shop around or make your own.

I'm starting to contradict myself here, I started by telling you not to do a bodge loft conversion, now I'm saying keep it simple and take it out when you move. The costs and work involved to get it certified are not worth it imo if you'll only have headspace for a hobbit.

I think you're right. I've decided not to go for a proper because to have
any real benefit to me and the house i'd have to spend a fortune.
I can do a board job, without electrics apart from lights (extension leads screwed to wall), make a new opening in airing cupboard, and make some new stairs - with/without risers (with the help of my cabinet maker friend)!
Like you said, if someone has a problem with the stairs, I can take them out and put the ladder back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back