Building control inspection stages and what they mean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I just got a letter from building control stating the various stages of work that they need to be called out to inspect. I would appreciate it if someone can please explain in lay mans terms what these stages actually mean.

• Commencement= Initial
  • Foundations = I believe this is when the trench is dug
  • DPC = ?
  • Thermal insulation to ground floor = ?
  • Oversite concrete, damp proof membrane = ? I think this is the floor, where a screed is poured on the rear extension floor.
  • External walls up to approximately cill height = This is the external wall up to like window level
  • First floor joists and sound insulation = Is this just first floor joists
  • Roof constructioin whilst still open = ?
  • Roof when tiled or felted = ?
  • Inspect beams in external walls of house = ?
  • inspect plasterboard surround to beam is required = We do have metal beams planned for the extension
  • soakaway dug = we do plan to do a driveway, is this for the driveway
  • soakaway constructed = is this for the driveway
  • drains laid = ?
  • drains testing (including plumbinh of S&VP) at job completion =
  • completion =

Sponsored Links
They need to check those things, but not necessarily as 15 individual inspections.

Nowadays, they will tell you how many site visits would be included in their fee (four or five normally), and may charge for any extra ones.

One of our local authorities only checks three (foundation trench; before backfilling drains; on completion) so don't expect numerous unannounced visits. Usually they discuss this with the builder.

Mine have been as follows. As he leaves I ask him when he wants me to call him out next:

0. Full plans submission passed (not sure how much this affects how much they subsequently inspect you)
1. Trench dug and oversite cleared.
2. Walls up to DPC, DPM and underfloor insulation in place and foil taped up (rendering it impossible to see if there is sand blinding, hard core, etc...) Note - drainage also happened to be in place at this point so presumably that counts as checked, but he was only there for 30 seconds.
3. "Call me when you've got the roof on" - i.e. structure and roof coverings complete. I've not got that far yet...

Sponsored Links
I used a private firm rather than the council, visits were all under 5minutes, kept them up to date with photo's , more expensive but no hassle, last visit was by a different member of staff and he asked me what was to be checked.

lol

I prefer private also, being a novice i thought one could apply to the council for building control approval and then get private to inspect. My architect didn't educate me, and just submitted to the council.

This is how I got here.

Just thinking, could these 3 stages not be joind together.

• DPC
  • Thermal insulation to ground floor
  • Oversite concrete, damp proof membrane

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ages-and-what-they-mean.488375/#ixzz4s0m8mWiL

I used a private firm rather than the council, visits were all under 5minutes, kept them up to date with photo's , more expensive but no hassle, last visit was by a different member of staff and he asked me what was to be checked.

The dpc needs checking before you can cover this with insulation and the insulation needs a check before you cover it with oversize so can't be checked in one visit. For my BC a few pics were sufficient .

Are you doing it yourself or paying someone else to do it? If DIY then as long as you have a decent grasp of the Approved Documents (and get the basics right) BCO won't be all over you and if you ask nicely they'll usually point out solutions to conundrums outside the ADs. If you're paying someone else then if they've got a good reputation again BCO won't bother them too much.

Do remember that BCO is NOT quality control- they're mainly checking that the structure will not fall down and has adequate thermal performance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back