Building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I submitted building notice for extension to the council and the person we were allocated is being quite unreasonable with requirements (apparently we are unlucky as this person is known to be difficult). Is it possible just to pay private approved inspector another lot of money for a separate building notice for the same thing and completely bypass council officer that way?

Sponsored Links
As FMT said, how are they, or he being unreasonable?

Am I right in assuming you are submitting a BN for works that have already started, nearing completion or have already been completed and you're being asked to expose certain elements? :p

You can use an Approved Inspector if you so wish. But you will be paying more for their services AND you will not get any monies back for what you have already paid to the LABC. Approved Inspector's will deal with various works but if it's very minor, you'll find their fee's are wayyy over and above what is practical.

No you cannoit use a private inspector. You could have done before you submitted to the local authority but once you submit there's no going back.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response. I didn't really want to go into details of why and what happened, I just wanted a straight yes or no answer.

I didn't really want to go into details of why and what happened, I just wanted a straight yes or no answer.

Then miss out on advice of how to deal with unreasonable BCO's.

That of course, depends if your concept of "unreasonableness" is different to the concept of "conforming to the building regulations"

I would love advise on this but I am rightly or wrongly paranoid that all council workers spend most of their day browsing the web and being BC some of them must be on here and can put 2 & 2 together...

Yes, we would all love a job were we could combine web browsing for most of the day, and then some unreasonableness for the remainder of the day to break it up a bit.

The chances of your BCO posting on here are less than the chances of me coming around to dig your footings with a teaspoon

That is of course, unless mikric works at your LA :eek:

You could always pose a hypothetical question substituting relevant details - but watch out for logging of your IP just in case

I would love advise on this but I am rightly or wrongly paranoid that all council workers spend most of their day browsing the web and being BC some of them must be on here and can put 2 & 2 together...
Well your attitude speaks volumes and may explain why you're getting grief ........

Yes. Thanks. It must be me :D
I don't quite understand what attitude, I just asked a straight question and wanted simple answer, wasn't rude to anyone, and didn't want to discuss further but anyway...

As a Forum there are many professionals and tradesman on here hence it is our natural inquisitive nature to enquire as to whether your BCO is being unreasonable or not. There are also many people on the Forum with little knowledge of the regs/construction who consider BCO are a bunch of interfering busybodies only intent on causing people grief for the fun of it. Nobody has said you are rude.

Unfortunately I know quite a few BCOs that are total tossers :rolleyes:
At the end of the day you are a customer and your BCO is not GOD even if he thinks he is.
If you have a genuine grievance complain and take it up with his boss. And insist you deal with someone else.
Unfortunately the nature of the job involves sometimes telling people things they dont want to hear.
Oh and web not worth browsing at work, all good stuff is blocked :LOL:

I have known 'awkward' bco's and some a little over-zealous. But most just want you to comply to the reg's.

However, i have known many say to me, "i'm just off to look at a diyjob and it is a nightmare from start to finish".

The one thing they do hate is having to constantly remind inexperienced builders about the reg's.

"Building Notice" says it all to me.... :rolleyes:

As micrik says if you believe what you are doing complies then take the matter further otherwise, I doubt you will get anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back