Building control

Nothing is ever that precise with building work that you can always say you are 100% right. As an example, if footings are locally required to be 1m deep, inspector could say its not good enough if in places depth only goes to 90cm or 95cm regardless of whether its clay or sand underneath. Or he could insist that you dig up entire old concrete floor to find out if its the same uniform depth of 100mm along the whole length of the floor only to say it was actually good enough when dug up and in skip. As building inspector, you seem to be able to change any remedial work to rebuilding a whole house to a modern standard. If he wants to be difficult, he can be and his department and his boss will always back him up - why wouldn't they - if I worked there I would back my colleague every time. Noseall said it - building notice says it all.

Sponsored Links
Is this something being built now or are you getting retrospective Approval? Your last post makes little sense.

Nothing is ever that precise with building work that you can always say you are 100% right. As an example, if footings are locally required to be 1m deep, inspector could say its not good enough if in places depth only goes to 90cm or 95cm regardless of whether its clay or sand underneath. Or he could insist that you dig up entire old concrete floor to find out if its the same uniform depth of 100mm along the whole length of the floor only to say it was actually good enough when dug up and in skip. As building inspector, you seem to be able to change any remedial work to rebuilding a whole house to a modern standard. If he wants to be difficult, he can be and his department and his boss will always back him up - why wouldn't they - if I worked there I would back my colleague every time. Noseall said it - building notice says it all.
ArnoldJackson-GaryColeman.jpg

Sponsored Links
ArnoldJackson-GaryColeman.jpg

PMSL
And the catch phrase is :LOL:

Is this something being built now or are you getting retrospective Approval? Your last post makes little sense.

It's got to be one of the three following situations...

a. Minor works that don't warrant full working drawings.
b. Small extension, etc... that can be carried out by a competent contractor.
c. Works that are currently progressing without an application, which has been picked up and a BN has been submitted to help speed up the process.

Surely? I'm thinking the latter.

Sorry to disappoint, it's not retrospective just lots of option a's.

Sorry to disappoint, it's not retrospective just lots of option a's.

I didn't say it was. I said that works are currently progressing and you have applied for BR's. A retrospective (or regularisation) application is most commonly applied for "after" works have been completed. In the majority of cases, you could apply for BR's during construction works... subject to the BCO's approval.

But as FMT and others have said, there's not a lot more anybody else can do/suggest due to the lack of information provided. And to be honest, you'd be VERY lucky for that particular BCO to actually come on here and putting 2 and 2 together. Even so, what harm would it do? Nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back