Building/Extending Conservatory - Sewer Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have a conservatory but to the left side there is a 6ft x 8ft gap which I would like to either extend my existing conservatory over, (if that's possible), or build a new one over making the (new) conservatory 11ft x 20ft. The problem is there is a sewer access hole in this area. This is an extension from the main access manhole and the pipe goes under the kitchen extension.
I believe that if this hole became blocked it could be cleared from the main manhole so I see no reason why this drain couldn't be covered and sealed; especially as it's a "T" off and doesn't go to any other properties.
I'm pretty new to this and would appreciate it if anyone could help me with regard to building regs etc.
Anyone had any experience of extending a victorian style, (or any style) conservatory?

Any help gratefully received! :)

Sponsored Links
Never a good idea IMO but you could use one of these;
http://www.manholecovers.co.uk/access-covers/mhc-7350-series.html

Building Regulations require rodding access from at least one end to clear blockages but you are allowed one 45 degree bend. I had a similar problem but in the end decided to bite the bullet & reroute the drain.

Planning Regulations regarding Conservatory’s changed recently, have a look here before you go doing anything drastic;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...kcommonconservatory/workmorebregsconservatory

Cheers Rich,

I've looked at the links you provided and I don't think I need anything as weight bearing as the manhole covers in the first one as, although the manhole would have to be fully sealed, it wouldn't be load bearing, and I would like to close it permanently, (otherwise access would have to be provided in the conservatory, not a nice idea :confused:).

I could re-locate the access point to the drain, (i.e. provide another manhole in the garden), but not reroute the drain as it goes under the kitchen extension.

I think the manhole would be classed as minor as it only links to the primary manhole which goes off to the main sewer, and rodding should be easy from there.

The conservatory would be a pretty standard affair and I don't think it would need to adhere to planning regulations as the existing one already does. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back