Building footings over main gas and electric pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on converting my garage. Currently the gas and electric meters are in the garage but seeing as I have been quoted a totally ridiculous price to move them (£2.5k!), I am now planning to leave the meters where they are and box in.

The supply comes in underground from the front of the garage. Assuming that I do not already have footings to brick up the garage opening, can anyone see any issues with building any required footings around the supply pipes provided that they are linteled? i.e. is it allowed :?:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, puting footings over pipes and cables is fine, as long as u wrap them in jablite, so if the gas/elec company need to replace them they are easily removed, you also need to go like a foot deeper and wider then the pipes/cables to have sufficent concrete around them to build on, so it dont crack or damage pipes/cables

That's great, the last possible block as far as I can see so the project has a green light. I had doubts as I will be the first on the entire estate to have a garage conversion (which I thought was a little odd!).

Thanks.

Last garage I built (DIY not pro) the gas/water/electic supplies came in under what became the new garage door. No footings across the doorway so no issue.

Sponsored Links
It is extremely dangerous, totally stupid and contravenes gas regs to build over gas pipes. The gas pipes must be diverted around the new structure.

Lets hope the op sees this message.

And I hope those who advised it was ok are well meaning amateurs rather than totally incompetant "professionals"

So its a red light them :!: I had a feeling it might be (hence the original post). When there isn't a single garage conversion on the eintire estate (c.100+ houses) there has got to be a reason and I suspect this is it.

Thanks for the warning Holmslaw.

It is extremely dangerous, totally stupid and contravenes gas regs to build over gas pipes. The gas pipes must be diverted around the new structure.

And I hope those who advised it was ok are well meaning amateurs rather than totally incompetant "professionals"
Steady on holmslaw, whilst technically it does contravene gas regulations its a fact that many many extensions are built over gas mains and plenty by 'professional' builders. I've also done a few garage conversions exactly like this and BC seem pretty happy too. In contrast to the OP's recent statement I could show you estates where half the houses have had exactly the same side extension and built over the gas main.

Sounds like a bit of a grey area.

The Natgrid charge for excavating, moving and reconnecting the meter is actually quite reasonable (£600) so may be worth moving if there is any doubt.

I was also hoping to avoid the ugly box on the from of the house (side of house is not an option). Is it ok to have the mains pipe coming out of the ground and through the wall instead and have the meter inside?

The electric meter move is over £1.5k excluding reconnection so that can stay where it is!

I was also hoping to avoid the ugly box on the from of the house (side of house is not an option). Is it ok to have the mains pipe coming out of the ground and through the wall instead and have the meter inside?
Why would you want the inconvenience of the meter inside?

Unless of course you plan on doing some clandestine (hooky) fiddlings with said meter...... :p

There are floor mounted boxes available.

Unless of course you plan on doing some clandestine (hooky) fiddlings with said meter

There's an idea! Help recover some of the cost of the meter move ;)

There are other reasons that I would rather avoid moving the meters outside. I had a new pic drive put down last year that I would rather avoid having to rip up. I was hoping to re-route the supply under the garage floor and out the side of the house but I believe this is not allowed.

Going down the side of the house from the front is not possible due to a 3ft deep sump in the way (a long story that one - no drainage at front of the house so only way I could see to resolve was to build sump & pump out to side drain approx 1ft higher, Unconventional but works).

So its a red light them :!: I had a feeling it might be (hence the original post).
Maybe not. Will try to keep this brief, as FM gets the hump with us on long posts.
Three sites for you to look at.

Gas technical pack.indd
Pipe Installation 1
Gas Technical Guidelines - GTC Technical Gas Guidelines and Safety ...

The Gas Technical Pack indd, column three, top paragraph appears to contradict the post that says (that it is extremely dangerous, totally stupid and contravenes gas regs to build over gas pipe).
Over all our years we have always been led to believe that it is acceptable to build in a gas service through a wall, providing it was sleeved and provision had been made for any possible settlement at point of entry
We would confirm what FM has said, we have worked on numerous sites where the gas and electric are brought into the garage The gas service was sleeved 450 deep under the slab either through a 100mm plastic pipe or 63mm single wall yellow gas duct, up the hockey sleeve and into meter box.
There is a strong possibility that the duct will extend out past the front of the garage and it will not be necessary to cut a sleeve over service.
You may just have a couple of problems though. Outside isolation valve and internal ventilation. Sorry we can not advise you on these two items, as we have never been able to pin anyone down to a firm answer.
Suggest you contact your gas transporter for further information.
One other point, we have a way of doing these conversions without digging and concreting foundation, subject to your LBC approval. PM us if you want to know.
oldun

Steady on holmslaw, whilst technically it does contravene gas regulations its a fact that many many extensions are built over gas mains and plenty by 'professional' builders.

It is also a fact that I make my living sorting out builders who choose to ignore regulations and good practice. The link shows what can happen if you build over a gas main which as you say "technically it does contravene gas regulations".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/10/newsid_4045000/4045495.stm

I've also done a few garage conversions exactly like this and BC seem pretty happy too. In contrast to the OP's recent statement I could show you estates where half the houses have had exactly the same side extension and built over the gas main.

Then you and the builders of those estates have endangered a great many people. Do you sleep well at night? Would you like a gas pipe under your house? How many years do you get for manslaughter?

Three sites for you to look at.

Gas technical pack.indd
Pipe Installation 1
Gas Technical Guidelines - GTC Technical Gas Guidelines and Safety ...

The Gas Technical Pack indd, column three, top paragraph appears to contradict the post that says (that it is extremely dangerous, totally stupid and contravenes gas regs to build over gas pipe).

Thanks for the advice and selective quoting.

The first document says "The line of the service pipe must be on a line at right angles to the main and direct to the meter position. The line must take the shortest possible route but may require diversion to negotiate obstructions. The service pipe must not be laid under any buildings including garages."

@ holmslaw, another exaggerated post from you, in such circumstances my official advice is always to have the mains relocated as am professionally bound to do so, I write to the homeowner specifically recommending that such a mains pipe is relocated and if they choose to do otherwise that is their responsibility, the reality is though that there are probably millions of gas mains that have been built over and they operate quite happily and safely, I suspect that there are many more accidents or leaks caused by dodgy gas fitters connecting up boilers or fires incorrectly or by people working on gas who shouldn’t or whatever. No one is denying there is a risk (as there is with practically everything in life). Official advice is to relocate, reality is more often than not somewhat different though. I sleep extremely well at night thank you for asking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back