Building garage on boundaries 4m high dual pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D1315A81-A299-46CE-878B-C006776DEBB4.jpeg
60E3106C-0CCB-4EEC-8920-EB639DF37CC0.jpeg
2D788ACE-8849-46FF-811D-36C087504FCB.jpeg
CB2AD1C3-14FD-4BED-9F6F-39C5AD2D14E5.jpeg
Advice needed, i recently took down my Aspestos 2.5 x 4.5m garage and looking to build a 4.2 x 10m garage Boundry to boundary with a max allowable height of 4m dual pitched roof.
It’s rather going to be old fashioned brick/breeze block or steel prefab building for ease of erecting.
It’s for storing my classic bmw e30’s which I have two of and some space for diy tools, workbench and miscellaneous stuff etc.
I also go brands hatch racing so would like somewhere to do my maintenance.
I am going to submit plans to get approval, need advice on getting drawings and engineering calcs made up etc. just wondering if anyone has done something similar?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You'll need a planning application. For planning only very simple location and aspect drawings needed. No construction info other than materials for appearance required. for building regs. If <1m from boundary has to be substantially non-combustible materials. if over 15sqm<30sqm

I know planning is required because it will be on the boundary but will the height and size be an issue do you think. Will I pay for all the drawings and structural calculations to be drawn up and get rejected

You won't need structural calcs for a planning application. You won't need engineering drawings either. Height and size- depends how big your garden is, what other buildings are in similar locations on your street, etc etc. Looking at the pics, the height might be an issue, the footprint not so much

Sponsored Links
You won't need structural calcs for a planning application. You won't need engineering drawings either. Height and size- depends how big your garden is, what other buildings are in similar locations on your street, etc etc. Looking at the pics, the height might be an issue, the footprint not so much

thanks for the reply. Why do you think height could be an issue. This is what I was worried about.
The garage next to me is 3.5m high pitched roof.
But other side around 2.3m flat roof.

With pp, the height will attract less attention and any objections will carry less weight if there are similar structures in similar locations up and down the gardens. If the back gardens of all the houses were flat green grass with low fences and no trees, the planners would be reluctant to grant permission for a gert big barn.
As it is, I can't see any substantive reason why it wouldn't be permitted, though I think you'll be better doing it in blockwork rather than a steel prefab (steel building could look very out of place) plus the practicalities of building it (can you get a crane in the back garden cos you'd need one for a tin barn).

With pp, the height will attract less attention and any objections will carry less weight if there are similar structures in similar locations up and down the gardens. If the back gardens of all the houses were flat green grass with low fences and no trees, the planners would be reluctant to grant permission for a gert big barn.
As it is, I can't see any substantive reason why it wouldn't be permitted, though I think you'll be better doing it in blockwork rather than a steel prefab (steel building could look very out of place) plus the practicalities of building it (can you get a crane in the back garden cos you'd need one for a tin barn).
Thanks for the reply,
When I say prefab steel garage I meant a steel build yourself garage in kit form

Hmm. Steel buildings can sweat a lot, condensation won't do your cars or tools a lot of good. Plus proper block walls are much easier to fix things to (bench, shelves, power sockets) and will reduce noise emissions. Your choice, neither will be cheap at the mo :)

Hmm. Steel buildings can sweat a lot, condensation won't do your cars or tools a lot of good. Plus proper block walls are much easier to fix things to (bench, shelves, power sockets) and will reduce noise emissions. Your choice, neither will be cheap at the mo :)
I know the price of material has gone up ‍♂️ Looks like block it is then.

Could anyone help me out with the planning drawings etc. even I push in the right direction

Go onto your councils planning portal, search for detached garages, look at the attached plans to get a feel for what is required and create your own. It isn't difficult- you can use Sketchup or a CAD package on your computer or you can buy some graph paper and a sharp pencil and do it the old way. They don't have to be super detailed- all 4 elevations, plan, description of materials & final finishes, done.
EDIT For pp you'll need a site map (the pp form makes it totally clear what is needed)- you buy that from the council or from any number of online providers.

Go onto your councils planning portal, search for detached garages, look at the attached plans to get a feel for what is required and create your own. It isn't difficult- you can use Sketchup or a CAD package on your computer or you can buy some graph paper and a sharp pencil and do it the old way. They don't have to be super detailed- all 4 elevations, plan, description of materials & final finishes, done.
EDIT For pp you'll need a site map (the pp form makes it totally clear what is needed)- you buy that from the council or from any number of online providers.
Thanks mate, only thing I’m worried about is scale.
How do you get the scaling correct for what is required.
Also would they need a sketch of what’s either side of me to get an idea of what’s affected?

Think they want 1 to 100 which is easy in metric. And 2nd Q that's what the site plan is there for, they can use Google maps or someone will come out and have a recce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back