building on floating slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

im hoping for some of your advice,

ive just moved into a new build house and the previous owner as put a 15ft long by 9ft wide slab down, Its a 4" thick slab with a sectional garage sitting on it, Ive dug round the edges to see if there are any footings and there is not, he put down 2 tonne of hardcore then wacker plated it down before pouring the slab down , there is no rebar in the slab He told me that the garage is approx 3 tonnnes in weight and the slab is holding fine,

My question is, I want to build a brick in the same brick as the house in place as i dont like the look of the pre fab garage,

Will the slab take the weight of the new brick garage with apex roof?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would not even think about building a brick garage on the edge of a standard slab.

If it had been reinforced with a 'toe' then yes.

Don't skimp at this stage of the job or you will be sorry.

Thanks for the answer, So what do i do from here , Do i start again by ripping the ols slab out , would be some work :(( Or can i dig down around the edge and pack with cement?? I can only get to 3 of the sides as the other is tight up against the tarmac driveway

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back