Building on neighbours boundary question.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

The scenario is as follows.......

My neighbours house is set back approx 3.5 feet from the front of my house, and i want to extend my garage (single storey) forward inline with the front of my house.
I would prefer not to have to have to step the brick work but this would mean that i would need to build a wall on his property to go flush up to the front of his house to form the side of the garage.

Question....

I obviously need his permission before i can do anything but can anyone confirm what i need from the council (building regs / planning permission) for this issue ?
The size of the space would be easily within "permitted devmt" numbers.

Would solicitors need to be involved also ?

If the council are happy, is it just the case of getting agreement from my neighbour ?

I just need to know whether we should invite them around / get them drunk / get them to sign a letter of agreement ! :D

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I can't picture why you need to build on the neighbours land, in order to extend your garage forward :confused:

If you do, then its his land so you can't unless he either sells it to you, licences or leases it to you, or otherwise gives you permision to. Its nothing to do with planning permission

The other option is if your proposal is deemed a Party Wall, then you may be able to build the party wall on the boundary with half of it on his side

thanks for your posting Woody.

To clarify, my neighours house is set back from mine so the house fronts are not in line and the garage, is not a standalone garage....the properties are link detached so the join is literally the garage roof.

So, to extend this forward, there would be a gap at the side on his side becuase he is set back from me......hope this is clear and makes sense.

So, "if" he lets me build on what is effectively his land, my garage will be extended and will the same width all along.
If he says NO, then i will have to build on my land a small wall the difference between the front of my house and front of his[/img]

Sponsored Links
OK if I am correct, his side of his house is the boundary, and by extending your garage forward, you need to infill with a section of wall which will need to be flush off his gable wall and therefore 100mm on his land?

If this is not the case, can you post a picture or a rough sketch on plan view?

Can't you just build a wall on your side of the boundary to enclose your garage, and build the roof on this etc?

Other wise your options have already been mentioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back