Building over a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’ve searched and searched but cannot find a suitable answer to my question so hoping someone with more knowledge about this stuff than me is able to help.

I have a patio that has been laid with sandstone. I recently built a wooden gazebo and would now like to add a built-in kitchen/outdoor bbq area under the gazebo. I’m thinking of a brick or flagstone structure with a concrete or tiled worktop, built-in has bbq, and perhaps a small pizza oven. So quite a heavy structure.

Would it be okay to build this directly over the existing patio, or do I need to lift the patio and lay a new foundation to support this structure?

Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Depends who has laid the slabs I guess.

Never a good idea to trap the slabs down. Take them up and do it properly.

It will be ok.

Be more concerned with setting the gazebo alight.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I’ll build over the patio but will try to spread the load as much as possible. It’s also been suggested that I drill in a few rebar rods then pour a base foundation on top which seems like a good idea.

It’s also been suggested that I drill in a few rebar rods then pour a base foundation on top which seems like a good idea.
A good idea if the oven is going on the side of a vertical cliff or something.

A good idea if the oven is going on the side of a vertical cliff or something.

By this I assume you mean that the rebar and foundation is a bit overkill, is that correct?

Perhaps I am over thinking it but it’s the first project like this that I’m attempting and I really don’t want to screw it up!

Btw pizza oven is no longer in the plans. Just an l-shaped kitchen / counter with an integrated 5 burner gas bbq. Still a heavy structure though.

The rebar will be doing jack.

Whether the kitchen needs anything to spread the load will depend on the kitchen. The are ways and means, but without knowing exactly what you are doing, that's as good as you'll get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back