Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interested to know your recommendations on the following scenario:
I have planning permission to build an oak frame garage which will be built on a brick plinth which would go onto a strip foundations.
Garage dimensions: 7m x 5.5m ridge height: 4.3m

I’ve just been figuring out where existing pipes (sewer, roof water, clean water etc.) are going in around the area of the site.

I notice one of the pipes (about 800mm underground) coming from our house’s down pipes is going towards where we plan to put a foundation and I’m concerned it also goes to a soak away right where we plan to put the garage.
There’s been no major construction around the house since the 70s so if there is a soak away it’s at least that old.

Could I decommission the existing soak away by rerouting the feed to somewhere else (sewer or another soak away)?
Then would I be able to build over the old soak away or would additional steps be needed?

I read in another post that a raft could be an option.

Would like to hear your ideas?

Sponsored Links
It will need digging out and backfilling properly.

Drains can be rerouted to a new soakaway, located a minimum 5m from buildings and boundary.

In theory a raft would work but a few hours with a digger and some stone is cheaper building a raft.

The ground is going to be saturated and possibly soft for a good distance around and below.

And there may be some gound consolidation afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back