building over drains , manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
building regs don't seem very clear on this...
my kitchen extension will cover my exisitng inspection cover in my garden. these drains are surface water and foul and also serve my neighbours property. my question is this !!!!

can i build over the cover as long as it is acessable (in case it needs rodding) sealed with an airtight cover, or will i have to mover the drains which wil be a nightmare.

ps i am about to start the extension as a self design and build so i will probably be on here quite often when it starts....

any help would be great

matt

Sponsored Links
as a last resort use a srew down, recessed air tight inspection pit cover, but shurely relocating the manhole is better than having a s**t pit in your kitchn of all places!

thanks...

i know what you are saying but i was concerned in that if i move the drains it will mean putting in 4 x 90 deg bends. this concerns me as it serves more than 1 porperty. who would be best to consult in thus matter, a groundworker???

could the line of drains stay put, just relocate the pit, higher or lower down the drain run?

Sponsored Links
thats what i was hoping for mate. there is room to move the cover along the line of the drain, but the chamber is where my soil pipe joins the drain. i do not know whether the chamber can be moved or if it has to be where you have access to rod my soil pipe (no jokes).

1.Move the manhole further up/down the sewer run so its not inside the building

2. Add rodding access to the base of your SVP (so you can when you need to in the direction of flow)

3. change the connection from you SVP run to the main sewer run to an oblique connection (so it discharges in direction of flow and is less likely than a 90bend to get blocked)

et voila!

maybe ,if you have a lean-to roof on your extension you could re-direct the toilet pipe horizontally along the roof space and out through the building line into the drains that way, next demolish said manhole and repair the section remaining using slip collars or jubilee clip rubber type. then all you need to do is use slot and lintel building method over the drain.

bobnuts...

thanks. i could move the manhole but where would the rodding access go. my soil pipe connection to drains is still under extension???

sorry for being stupid?

good idea but too close to boundary. bobnuts suggested moving manhole along line and inserting roddin access to my svp. not sure where my roddin access would go though? soil pipe is internal in my kitchen at moment boxed in. would it mean cutting sv pipe and fitting socket with roddin access, if so i don't think there is any movement inpipe to get socket on.
or are there other ways of addin roddin access

provided that your svp is plastic you can isert any type of fitting using slip collars.

noseall said:
provided that your svp is plastic you can isert any type of fitting using slip collars.

noseall nose :LOL:

or you could boss on an access to your internal svp

thanks guys that has helped especially the bit about bossing on the rodding access which could be inside built into a cupboard. do yoy think buildin control will require new manhole upstream , i don't see the point of having to put in a new one if i have rodding acess. its not as though the new one will be showing my svp junction.

if your neighbours up stream have access to a manhole its safe to assume rodding cold be done from there, until of course they build an extension too.so it may be prudent to include some kind of access within your boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back