Building project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complicated one

I have an agreed long term lease on a space at a social club. It is an upstairs unused area that was started years ago (20+) and never finished. I do not need to make any alterations apart from to stud/insulate the walls, add a dropped ceiling, and a toilet facility, that will be directly above the clubs toilet and plumb into their waste. I have builders and electricians ready to go.

The club want to have the improvements signed off, however as I am paying over £15K for this project I do not want inspectors turning up after work and asking for the rest of the club to comply to rules and regs in order to sign off my 1 area. This would stop my project and if the club do not change their old standard wiring/insulation etc would the whole thing of been a waste.

Does anyone know about this type of thing or a way around it.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The rules only apply to the new work, what's already there won't matter. Especially electrics, their installation and circuits don't matter unless you're changing their consumer unit. Although if it's a change of use the rules in some areas can apply to all the areas subdivided.
Why would you not want it up to standard? I know it's more cost, but look at it the other way, you'll know that everything is safe and presumably you'll need insurance for the people using the space.
What will you use the space for?

Sponsored Links
I do not want inspectors turning up after work and asking for the rest of the club to comply to rules and regs in order to sign off my 1 area

That won't happen and is a poor excuse for avoiding the work being properly certified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back