Building Regs re Room Stat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe there is a BReg stating that it is mandatory to have a room thermostat fitted to all new CH systems.

However, are there any specific BRegs regarding the positioning of the CH room stat? i.e. that it should be in a cool location, such as the hall (as in most people's houses)?

An exact quote would be very helpful.
Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Stats are traditionally positioned in the hall. However, recent thinking is that they should be in the 'comfort zone', usually the living room.

Basically, stats should be positioned in a room where no thermostatic valves are used on the rads, and in a position where it won't be directly affected by sources of heat, eg. not too close to the rad(s), or in an area that is affected by strong sunlight through a window.

As for exact positioning, its down to manufacturers instructions, but usually approx 1.5 metres from the floor.

So a stat fitted on the wall a few inches next to the boiler would not be fitted in the correct place?
and
Would you say that it does not conform to Building Regs?

The purpose of fitting a room thermostat is to stop the boiler from short cycling. This happens when boiler reaches operational temperature and rooms are warm, and TRVs start shutting down. Now boiler will be firing on and off subject to any anticycling delays fitted.

Fitting a room thermostat and connecting it to the boiler now puts the boiler under the control of thermostat that is monitoring the ambient temperature in the room where the stat is fitted. Boiler switches off and stays off until the room thermostat calls for heat again.

Different rooms have different temperature. Roomstat would be set for the temperature referenced for that particular room. Say the stat was fitted in a cold bedroom and it was set to 16 degrees C (bedroom design temperature). Any heat from say the sunlight, would shut the rads in rooms that are favoured by sunlight, for the boiler to continue heating the cold bedroom until the stat says no more and boiler goes off line.

Fitting a programmable room thermostat, allows temperature tweeking to suite active, relaxing and frost protection modes.

Sponsored Links
So a stat fitted on the wall a few inches next to the boiler would not be fitted in the correct place?
and
I've never been confronted with regs regarding positioning of room stats.
It does sound though that you are fishing for an answer.Is yours fitted next to your boiler?
Stats should not be affected by extra heat sources or cold draughts and IMO should be in a room that reflects the average temp requirements of the property.A wireless stat is ideal for experimenting on position as it can be used portable until you decide on the best location for you.

What about a remote stat? Can't see any regs applying there

and
I've never been confronted with regs regarding positioning of room stats.
It does sound though that you are fishing for an answer.Is yours fitted next to your boiler?

Yes ours is...or was.
I had several Heating engineers round to inspect my boiler+cylinder (due to other concerns) and all recommended that the stat should be moved to render it useful. It was positioned right next to the boiler. (Personally, I didnt understand what was wrong with keeping it where it was and just turning the dial up to say 24~. but anyway we followed their advice and removed it and replaced it with a wireless stat).

You are also correct that I am fishing for an answer. I have asked my builder, the one whose electrician installed the stat in the first place, to contribute towards the cost of relocating the new thermostat. In that regard I wanted to know just how wrongly located it was in the first place. If, for example, it contravened any B'Regs, then I would think it fair that the builder contributes.
Hope that makes some modicum of sense.

Sheer laziness on behalf of some installers.There are many instances of room stats fitted on airing cupboard walls in an attempt to cut down on wiring time/costs.Needless to say stat shuts down prematurely.Approach your builder/installer with the facts.Nothing in writing that I can help you with but just common sense.

Thanks to all who have commented.

I have told him it had to be moved and that I expect him to pay the costs thereof. Will see what happens.

Firstly It is not mandatory to fit a room stat on a new boiler installation.

But when a room stat is req and fitted it should not be in kitchen as cooker will affect it when on .
Should be fitted 1.5 Metres high with space around it for air to circulate so not behind furniture units or curtains . Away from any source of heat be it rad ,fire or direct sunlight. Not on an outside wall and not on a wall with a rad on the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back