Building Regs & Single Glazed Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a 1930s house which would of had single glazed Crittall windows originally with horizontal bars giving the property more character than it does now. I would like to fit modern single glazed Crittalls to restore the character to the building and then depending on how cold it is in the winter fit secondary glazing. This stuff I hear is good:

http://www.stormwindows.co.uk

At present there is 1960s aluminium double glazing installed, which means I am told I can not replace it with thermally inferior single glazed Crittall windows. However I might be able to apply to the council for permission if I fit them in conjunction with secondary glazing - they might say yes or no.

Still I wonder do I:

1. Need to comply with building regs to move my existing windows 3 inches back?
2. Need to comply with building regs to improve The thermal efficiency of my house by installing single glazed Crittall windows in front of my existing windows?
3. Need to comply with building regs if at some later date I remove the aluminium windows?

Or have I never actually replaced my windows, only supplemented them and then lost them in effect?

The property is not listed nor in a conservation area.

Thank you,
Michael

Sponsored Links
In cases where the character of the building precludes double-glazing , you can supplement it with low-e glass secondary glazing.

In any event, you would need to make a building regs application as you will be changing the energy status of the house.

You may need to provide compensatory insulation elsewhere - eg additional loft insulation.

We live in a south london victorian terrace and when we moved in it had some horror of alu double glazing form around the 80's in place. We wanted to go back to the sash's it would have originally and, i am told, as the sash boxes were still present we were able to reinstate with single glazed wooden sash's without the need to go double. Personally i dont like the look of double glazed sash's so the fact we were allowed to reinstate single glazed was great.

Sponsored Links
Ha! - I have actually been impressed with the thermal properties of modern single glazing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back