Building Regs Victorian Attic Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am new to the forum but would very much appreciate any help.

I am currently in the process of buying a victorian terrace property which is over 100 years old. The third bedroom is in the attic and does not have building regulations, the solicitor has brought this up but he says it should not be an issue.
Just wondered if anyone has come across this before and whether this will be an issue when we come to re sell it in the future and if it can actually be sold as a bedroom?
The bedroom appears to have been there for some time and may have actually always been a bedroom when building regs won't have existed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Sponsored Links
This is not uncommon at all, unless it was converted only very recently then don't give it a second thought in terms of reselling. That's not to say the odd fire door or fire proofing here or there or extra mains controlled smoke alarm or whatever would do any harm. ;)

If you think about it, you will have the same issues when you come to sell as you are having now

You will either get a concerned buyer who walks away or tries to hammer down the price, or you will get someone who realises it does not matter and just buys the place

Get a proper survey done and if it is structurally sound and no H&S risks then its OK to buy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I thought it must be a common issue.
All of the terrace properties in the row are constructed in exactly the same way. Think a bit of common sense just needs to be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back