Building regs.... Where do I stand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new on this site.
I have just bought a house that I am converting to Student accommodation.
3 major points of concern.
1.Single storey kitchen has been built at rear many years ago, to a very bad standard and does not have PP or Rgs application. The internal leaf is part brick and part block and badly bonded.I have gutted this to the brick wall and am looking to make good.Best way?
2. Rear chimney has been removed , but only on Grd floor, and not in use.
Is it best to remove it all the way thru loft?
3. Existing loft rooms need ceiling removed and insulated. I am also looking to extend into the eaves, but purlin in front loft room (length 4.74m) is supported every 600mm with vertical timbers.
Any way to remove these verticals?
Also do I need either completions certificate or Regularising Cert. for all of these works?
Sorry about long winded essay, and thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I was going to try and answer all your queries, but I'll start at beginning...

Do you have planning permission/building regulation approval to carry out the conversion?

If not, many of those queries can be dealt with via a planning officer/building control officer and maybe a structural engineer, if required.

I have just bought a house that I am converting to Student accommodation.

You need to be aware that you may be in the realms of HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupancy) here. The requirements from a BRegs POV (Particularly B1 - Fire) for a HMO can be particularly onerous when compared to a "standard domestic dwelling". You need to contact your Local Housing Authority for their requirements or post back here if you are unsure of any of the above.

Planning, Building Control and the Environmental Health departments need to be consulted for works of this nature. This is why I asked if they had approached the LA yet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I am in touch with the Council regarding HMO Licencing and have their forms etc and requirements for safety, alarms, fire doors. This is a separate issue.
My concern is to bring the kitchen, loft and chimney to an acceptable level of constr, and to obtain euther a Compl. Cert or Regularisation Cart.
Please dont tell me to speak to the Build. Control.
I have spoken to 3 and got 3 differnt answers.
Any one had any of these issues?
Thanks

Unfortunately you're going to need to speak to Building Control.

If you just want the existing modifications that have been made to be signed off as passing the appropriate regulations then you'll need to apply for a regularisation certficate. Remedial work may have to be completed if the mods that have been made aren't up to the required standard.

If you are going to carry out further controlled works, and anything that involves structural timbers in the loft will be so, you'll need to submit an application to Building Control and have the work inspected as necessary. Once completed satisifactorily they will give you a certificate saying as much.

You will need to contact the local authority regarding the planning permission as it may fall within your permitted development rights.

Assuming it has been adequately supported, to save money probably best leaving the chimney as it is.

You will need to obtain building regulations for your loft conversion as it will require upgrading the the current standards (fire and thermal req's)and engineered to enable removal of any roofing struts.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back