Building regs with converting loft for storage ONLY

Some very useful info guys thanks!

I've taken it all onboard and this is what I'm going to do.

Make a new hatch and install a wooden loft ladder in the airing cupboard.

Plasterboard it all out after insulating it fully, but fix the plasterboard with screws - I presume this is possible. This will enable the plasterboard to be removed more easily. I was going to get it plastered but I think its safer not to by the sounds of it. I can also put little covers on the screws to make it look at bit nicer. I assume plasterboard is warmer than plywood - and cheaper!

The wooden loft ladder can be left down permanently as its out of the way in the cupboard formerly known as the airing cupboard, which has a door on it.

With regards to power points I guess I could put a couple of sockets in or else just run a couple of extension leads from the bedrooms below.

Sorted I reckon! Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
Be careful regarding putting electrical gear up there!

Regarding the selling your house as long as you proactively tell the agent and or buyers and declare it light storage you shouldn't have a problemn but as i mentioned with the electrics do not do this unless it is properly converted!

Your house insurance will not cover you if you had an electrical fire in your so called light storage area, you know how insurance companies love to wriggle out of things!

Be careful regarding putting electrical gear up there!

Regarding the selling your house as long as you proactively tell the agent and or buyers and declare it light storage you shouldn't have a problemn but as i mentioned with the electrics do not do this unless it is properly converted!

Your house insurance will not cover you if you had an electrical fire in your so called light storage area, you know how insurance companies love to wriggle out of things!

Yeah good point re: fire.

I'm actually thinking of putting a set of mini stairs in now seeing as I'll be at the house for a good few years. I'll replace it with a loft ladder when I come to sell if I have to.

:p

Just get an electrician to install an isolator for the loft circuit at the bottom of the stairs? For peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Deluks but I'll just go for the safer extension lead option I think.

Moderator can this be pinned as virtually everyday a post comes on here regarding loft boarding for space only and there is some useful stuff in here.

There isnt much in the wiki either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back