building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My house is a victorian property and still has the old coal house and outside toilet. My neighbours is the same but they are having the coal house and toilet knocked down and a new utility room and shower room. They have had full planning etc and their out buildings are built onto ours with adjoining wall. If we had the money we would of had the same thing built as them as it would be easier all the footings done at the same time etc. We are now wondering about getting their builder to maybe just do our footings and the concrete base. Can anyone tell me if we do this do we require to put in full planning with plans etc. I know my neighbour had to do this but he has had other extensions done to his house were i have not so think that the area of the extension would be under the set percentage of of my total house and believe that this means i dont require planning. I understand that building regs are still required but the builder is due to start nextdoor in 2 weeks and wondered if i would get the required done with the council in time.
In other words i could not just knock my outbuilding down and get the footings and base done without plans etc submitted.
Sorry about the length of this but hard to explain

Sponsored Links
This will normally be done under permitted development - so no planning permission required.

If you want a mirror image of the neighbours, then just submit a Building Notice (no plans required), and then use the the neighbours plans as a basis for yours. The council BCO will check all the foundations at the same time

I don’t believe you will need PP to knock it down & may still have permitted development rights if you’ve no other work been done in the past; in which case you will not need PP but you need to check. Even if you do need PP, your neighbour (& probably others in the same street) has set a precedent so you’re extremely unlikely to be refused.

Your correct in saying you will need BR’s for the extension & the footings & new slab will need to be inspected & will need to submit a building notice; it’s simple & takes a few minutes but submit one for the whole extension & not just the foundations or it will cost you more. Pay the fee & notify your LABC 24 hours (or is it 48?) before work starts & I can’t see any reason why the BI who inspects your neighbours footings & base shouldn’t do yours at the same time; easy money for them but the best thing to do is phone & explain the situation.

I once had an inspection done before the building notice was even submitted due to a cock-up; the BI still turned up looking a bit confused but it wasn’t a problem.

[quote
I once had an inspection done before the building notice was even submitted due to a cock-up; the BI still turned up looking a bit confused but it wasn’t a problem.[/quote]
:LOL: Sounds like the norm for a building notice to me :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Both of course :LOL: Regularly do inspections before application as is usually architect or owners cock up and dont like to hold builders up on site, as more often than not its not the lads on sites fault .

Shall we ask bcsurveyor for his views on work before an application submission? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back