Building Regs Self Submital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am knocking a load bearing wall down including chimney breast to create a kitchen/diner and had a few questions. My mate has the exact same house as me and had this done to his in 2010. I have a copy of the plans that his architect drew up. Ive been on the Local Council website and found info on Building regs. My other mate (a structural engineer) has drawn up my house plans using CAD and is going to do them to scale. He is also going to do the calcs for the RSJ's (need 2 as chimney breast as well) based on this but he has never submitted to building control before (he works in the coal industry). Ive got a builder sorted who did the work for my mates house originally but isnt able to/cant do the BC submission. A few questions then.......

1) Do I apply for full plans or building notice?
2) Do the plans have to have a detailed description of the work to be carried out - or are they simply there to show how the RSJ's size was calculated?
3) The forms from the council look to be simply asking for my details - details of the person who did the calcs and the builders details, and then submit the fee........ is this right?

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
For small structural alterations such as this, you would normally use the building notice procedure.
Probably the only details the council would need are the figures justifying the UBs and their bearings. When an SE does calcs for these things, they usually include a small rough sketch of the works, if only so that the council's engineer ,who checks the figures, knows what's going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back