Building regs question

Hi
Well I had the meeting with a Building Inspector and submitted drawings and some more money and havent heard anything since. I informed them that we were starting work sat and no one has turned up so I am hoping all was ok with the plans I gave them. I refused to pay the fee for a 5k - 7k build but did pay an extra 45 for 2k-5k. We knocked thru today and built the walls so i am now unsure when they will visit.

Sponsored Links
Informing building control that you were starting on a future date, particularly a Saturday is pointless.

You need to ring them on the day you wish them to visit (Mon - Fri) and before 10:00 a.m., stating the nature of the visit, i.e. foundations, drains, oversite etc.

Sponsored Links
They will only visit when you call & ask them to come & inspect whatever it is that needs inspecting but you need to give them 24 hours notice. They will mainly be interested in foundations & the waste & foul drain connection to the sewage system & they usually want to see the pipe in the trench before you fill it in; they will also want to see the lintels in any new openings; means of access (be careful as you may need disabled width in your case but not sure); provision of forced ventilation; first fix electrics if you’ve notified that but if your using a part P spark they will still want to see a BS 7671 before they will give you completion.

I layout install all the other stuff that they are interested in first & call them in to inspect the drain trench & connection as I do that, that way they will only need to come back again on completion &, hopefully, give you the OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back