Building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have got Lawful development certificate for a new extension approx 4mx4m. i have had 3 quotes from builders and now need to get the building regs involved.

the work is to begin in February should i get them onside now or wait until nearer the time?.

Sponsored Links
you need to make a building regs application for the extension

there are two ways of applying

Full Plans Application

you produce drawings specifying the materials and construction to meet the requirements and submit them with the application.
If there are any problems or missing info Building control will contact you to update the drawings.
Once everything is ok they will be approved and providing you stick to them then there should not be any significant problems onsite during the inspections. The advantage of this method is that you could contract a builder to build to those approved drawings so you know exactly what you are getting.

Building Notice Application

an application form and sketch drawings are submitted but not checked or approved(these are just a guide as to what is intended - similar to planning drawings). The works are inspected onsite and it is your responsibility to know the regs and build to them. if you build it incorrectly then it can mean having to re-do the work and extra costs for the builder for things that werent mentioned in the original quote.

It would be wise to get your application in asap incase you are building over a sewer or need special construction (piling/contaminated land etc). if you know about it now you can plan for it so you do not have unexpected delays

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back