Building regulations for garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've started posting on here about a garage conversion I'm undertaking as a DIY project. The 1st post I asked has prompted me to start reviewing the requirements for Building Regs and that has prompted me to think through exactly what I need to do and I probably need some help here.

My plan is roughly as follows:

1. replace double garage door at rear area (as per other post) and replace with a single door
2. get an electrician to feed in SWAC and perhaps a small consumer unit? Create output for a number of sockets (inc. power, phone + CAT5)
3. waterproof, insulate and pb remaining area (single skin walls) - research or another post required
4. screed cracked concrete floor and then DPM/insulate and screed installing underfloor electric heating + tiles - research or another post required
5. cut back 50% of the joists for garage loft above install skylight and proper stairway to garage loft for office storage. research req'd
6. replace existing garage front doors with french doors.

Does this sound like the main activities and therefore the building regs areas that I'll need to cover?

Sponsored Links
Where exactly is the garage? Is it at the front of the property and attached? (as I had pictured)
The idea of french doors at the front of the property is a bit wierd sounding.

If the garage is at the rear of the property and you aren't increasing the size/changing the shape then unlikely you'll need PP. BR's a must though.

Other stuff sounds about right, No need to screed under DPM if the floor is flat and level. No need for SWA if the garage is attached to house.

You will need to satisfy the following criteria as far as b.c. are concerned:

Structural.

Thermal.

Electrical.

Fire/smoke.

Structurally you may need foundations beneath any walls, be them bricking-up of openings or any inner masonry skins. If you decide to use timber stud for the inner skin then i would suggest 100 x 50mm timber at 450mm centres with vapour control and 125mm pur board insulation between/across.

Any external glazing, windows/doors etc, will need to be toughened glass (where applicable), have trickle vents and use low 'e' glass. You may also need means of escape.

The floor walls and ceiling will need to meet current thermal standards.

The staircase opens a can of worms but if you go ahead then you will need to meet a herd of reg's.

The electrics need to satisfy part p reg's.

Fit trv's on any rad's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back