Building Regulations...HELP???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone... Im a fairly confident DIYer but this is my first posting, so please be gentle with me!!

Im wanting to extend my kitchen internally as it is very small. When I say internally I mean by moving the kitchen door further down my hallway and removing a pantry door to knock the two rooms into one. Unfortunately the two doors are below the staircase and so the whole thing will need a supporting lintel putting in.

Having consulted a few builders I have received conflicting advice. Some say they can do the job, no problems, another said I need to apply for building reg's and another (who was a FMB member) said I need to contract an architect and apply for planning permission!

I am completely confused about the whole thing now and would appreciate any advice on what I should do next.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you will need to submit to building control and they will probably want to see structural engineers calcs for the beam and the loads upon it.

Thanks for the advice. Any ideas how much this will cost?
Ive been trying to find an architect today without much luck! Someone told me I would be better off searching for a Structural Engineer, is this correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back