Kitchen Worktop Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I need a little advice.
I am having a kitchen extension that is nearly complete, and then have the wall knocked through to the existing kitchen to create a big kitchen.
However, one or two things that have come up during the build that as eaten into my 'kitchen budget'.

So here are the questions. We are having a mix and match of two kitchens i.e. Oak and Gloss Black (it does look good). And the Oak doors are solid wood. There is however, a similar door that is a Foil Wrapped door which is £600 cheaper overall. Would I big making a huge comprimise to save £600?
We were against granite at first due to cost/maintenance, but warmed to it as people were saying laminate is old hat. However, we want a laminate that has hardly a rad on the outside, in a black/slate matt/gloss finish that was hard wearing and didn't show scratches up alot (a big ask, I know). Upstands and a Splashback to match as well. Looked at Bushboard and nothing really jumps out at me compared to granite.
So here's the million dollar question. The difference between granite and the laminate option is 2.5k, and I could use some savings but really dont want to. But by having a laminate over granite, would I be cheapening the look of my kitchen? And would it be robust enough?
Any other worksurface tips and help would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to look at how long you will live in the property, if you want to move within 5 years then go for laminate but any longer then it would be granite all the way.

At the end of the day, it's coming out of your piggy bank and not ours.

Andy

What I was trying to say, the rad on the profile of the surface to kept to a minimum, rather that a big rad. In short, I would like a sharp edge as opposed to a rad, if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
sharp edge on laminate worktop would look naff because of the joint where the two pieces of veneer meet on the corner.

If the moneys there granite all the way imo

I guess you are right about the sharp edges on laminate.

May have to raid the money tin.......

sharp edge on laminate worktop would look naff because of the joint where the two pieces of veneer meet on the corner.

If the moneys there granite all the way imo
Square edged laminate can be butt jointed so does not meet in a corner. Recent job I was at had 50mm square edged laminate worktop and looked fine, though not my style.

You have to look at how long you will live in the property, if you want to move within 5 years then go for laminate but any longer then it would be granite all the way.

Can I ask what is with the fashion for introducing radon generators into your house? Speaking as someone with training in radiation protection you would not get me installing a granite work surface if you paid me.

Can I ask what is with the fashion for introducing radon generators into your house? Speaking as someone with training in radiation protection you would not get me installing a granite work surface if you paid me.
Utter rubbish. You introduce more radon into your home by cooking with natural gas than you'll ever introduce, by using granite worktops.

Utter rubbish. You introduce more radon into your home by cooking with natural gas than you'll ever introduce, by using granite worktops.

It is not utter rubbish. All granite will introduce radon gas, some more than others and there is no testing of it, Some work tops emit dangerous levels of radon. Not worth the risk.

I would also point out that I don't cook with gas either, though that is for other reasons such as the noise, the wasted heat that ruins your implements, etc.

Gloss Black (it does look good). And the Oak doors are solid wood.
Thanks

if you have kids
if you have pets
if you dont like cleaning
if you like using the kitchen
dont get gloss black

you will be for ever wiping clean noticing fine scratches you cant get rid off
you will be sick off it after 6 months

It is not utter rubbish. All granite will introduce radon gas, some more than others and there is no testing of it, Some work tops emit dangerous levels of radon. Not worth the risk.

I would also point out that I don't cook with gas either, though that is for other reasons such as the noise, the wasted heat that ruins your implements, etc.
If you are burning cooking utensils you have the flame too high, simples.

Cheers for the advice guys. I will let you know what the outcome is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back