Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We did a small roof space conversion about 13 years ago to accomodate my step-son staying over. We just put a slingsby ladder in. My lad has since moved out to a place of his own. I have had Building Control out stating I either need to apply for building control or take down stud roof and walls and remove radiator. I have no intention of selling the house as the attic being an extra room. Does anyone know if this man from the council is being awkward or do I really need to strip the attic back.

Sponsored Links
why did they come round? did someone tip them off?
No they were out to verify gas installation and the boiler is in the attic. I didn't know is done anything wrong in 1st place as we were told at time we didn't need building reg unless we planned to sell house with attic as an extra bedroom.

Surely taking the rad out (fairly easy) would be enough, I don't think there are regs specifying what a non-habitable room should provide, just what a habitable room should comply with.

If it's not got a proper access and no radiator, it can't be classed as habitable can it?

The only other thing I can think of is planning, but if it's not habitable then you haven't changed its use.

A quick google suggests that in addition to PP enforcement not being carried out after 10 years (change of use), Building regs don't normally bother after a year (and that's for habitable spaces).

Looks like you live in NI so maybe the rules are slightly different?

I'd be tempted to tell them it's not used as a habitable space and wait to see if they try to enforce, maybe take the rad out but certainly not tear the boarding out.

Sponsored Links
rjm2k";p="3046477 said:
Surely taking the rad out (fairly easy) would be enough, I don't think there are regs specifying what a non-habitable room should provide, just what a habitable room should comply with.

If it's not got a proper access and no radiator, it can't be classed as habitable can it?

The only other thing I can think of is planning, but if it's not habitable then you haven't changed its use.

A quick google suggests that in addition to PP enforcement not being carried out after 10 years (change of use), Building regs don't normally bother after a year (and that's for habitable spaces).

Looks like you live in NI so maybe the rules are slightly different?

I'd be tempted to tell them it's not used as a habitable space and wait to see if they try to enforce, maybe take the rad out but certainly not tear the boarding out.
I did tell him it wasn't to be used for habitable space but he said because it had the boarding in it wasn't sufficient to just take the rad out, it all had to come down as I could easily change my mind and use it to sleep in. He was even going to get me to lift the carpet!!- until he had a change of heart.

I'm surprised they're trying to get involved.

Building Regulations would only normally kick in for a loft conversion if there was a fixed stair... not a ladder. It's just a glorified storage area.

+1,assuming your regs are similar to England's, it's the staircase - fixed or retractable - which determines whether or not the regs apply.

We did a small roof space conversion about 13 years ago

Dear Local Building Control Department

The Building Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1979, as amended by the The Planning and Building Regulations(Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 1990, being as they were, the regulations in force at the time the works were completed, state in article 33:

"(5) A contravention notice shall not be served after the expiration of 18 months from the date of completion of the work in question. "

I look forward to your acknowledging this point of law, that clearly states that if you wanted to serve an enforcement notice upon me with regards to works carried out in the loft space of my dwelling, you should have done so 11.5 years ago and as a result will be taking no further action in respect of the same

Regards
Burnsy45

Just to clarify here, (English. regs); a building control department cannot take action under sec. 36 of the Building Act after 12 months (i think 2 years in some instances).
But they can at any time apply to the court for an injunction regarding the contravention. But that power is very rarely used as the onus of proof of a contravention would be firmly on the council.

Are we missing any info? Is it a council house?

Seems unusual (for England anyway) for the council BR dept to come and check a replacement boiler, that would normally be done by GasSafe afaik.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back