Building small concrete block wall on top of paving slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to put in a small beer garden to my pub. The proposed area is currently laid with 600x600x50mm concrete paving slabs on sand and a rock base.

I'd like to build a small 600mm high concrete block wall on top of the paving slabs (with no foundations) to support a timber frame and timber decking for the beer garden which will be 13m x 4m

Is this being unrealistic? I realise that too much weight on the paving slabs and they'll crack. Hoping to avoid foundations as the cost may be too great. If not could I just build up to the required height using just a timber frame on the paving?

Thanks for your replies.

JamieS

Sponsored Links
Short answer is no it wont take the decking and public load.. slabs will shear at the wall base and ultimately sink into the ground..
Water down the bear more and build some real footings..

Could I then just use many timber posts (to support the timber decking and frame at the perimeter and inside) on a wide timber plates? Would this work?

Sponsored Links
What your describing would suit more domestic properties where you have 2 friends round for a bbq and beer.. and so what if it sinks a little.. can always just dig it up and relay..

But when you have 40 people on the deck its gonna sink alot and may be dangerous..

I dont really know enough about what you plan or have as existing ground etc to comment further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back