Building wall with 5 degree slope for rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm re-roofing the garage and increasing the existing slope to a 5 degree pitch.

I'll probably have to knock off the top layer of blocks and build up the new gable structure.

I'm hoping to embed the joists in the wall, but I'm not sure the best way of building this 5 degree slope and getting the joists level along it.

I see two methods
1) Making a gap in the brickwork at each joist to the next lowest level and building putting a spacer in to lift the joist to the right level

2) Building a little above and cutting the excess brick with a wall chaser (I think this is the right tool) once layed, and then add the joists on and bricking between, with the slope.

Some bad paint diagrams:

17nqVMl.png

Blue = spacer (wood or more brick)

Couldn't seem to find any material online that point at the best way of doing this.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Put the joists level and add firring strips, i.e. diminishing thicknesses of timber to the tops of the joists.

We have a selection of timber thicknesses at the ready for this type of job and fix them accordingly. A circular saw comes in handy too. You will often find that a thin ripping off one piece will do as a packer for another.

Put the joists level and add firring strips, i.e. diminishing thicknesses of timber to the tops of the joists.

We have a selection of timber thicknesses at the ready for this type of job and fix them accordingly. A circular saw comes in handy too. You will often find that a thin ripping off one piece will do as a packer for another.

Thanks, that's a good solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back