building with breeze block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice, I am building a single storey extension, 5m by 5m. Can this be built from breeze block? A friend has told me a single wall built from breeze block will be fine, can anyone confirm that is the case.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Breeze block or concrete block, it will depend on the newtons that the bloke will crush at to determine the load or weight it can carry.
A standard breeze block crushes at something near 3.5 newtons.
as dense concrete block nearer 8 newtons.

blocks are fine but single skin block extensions (for habitable space) are not. If you wish to build with masonary you will need a cavity wall, ie 2 skins. I don't want to sound harsh but it sounds like you need to do a bit more research, a good start would be a chat with your local building control office.

Sponsored Links
single skin will be damp,simple.if you want a damp space,thats fine.unless you paing it with RIW or similar

Has there been some mis-reading here ? The OP said he wanted to build a single-storey extension but the replies seem to read as if he said single-skin.

Has there been some mis-reading here ? The OP said he wanted to build a single-storey extension but the replies seem to read as if he said single-skin.

A friend has told me a single wall built from breeze block will be fine

If you are building it double skin with a 100mm cavity (to comply with building regs) the inner skin will have to be thermalites due to thermal efficiency. The outer skin does not have to be breeze blocks. I used dense concrete blocks on the outer skin of ours as they are stronger and about the same price.

The inner skin does not generally have to be "thermalite", & I would always counsel against using them for a couple of reasons. Personally I would use "Fibolite" or similar for both skins with cavity insulation. These are infinitely superior to thermalite structurally & better than conc solids thermally.
They are easy to handle and reasonably priced, but obviously require external rendering or similar protection.
Your local authority is the place to ask (assuming your telling them :) ),they will also have the last word in materials & importantly the type & thickness of insulation.

Some builders are moving away from aac blocks because of cracking problems. If the external walls meet the required U value, or the whole building meets the SAP rating they are not needed. There are some houses being built with solid walls again.

I'm all for solid walls, got to be structurally better, less places for moisture or rodents etc. It always seems more logical to have your insulation on the side of the wall that you actually heat too. I argued about this years ago, nice to see people coming round at last :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back