Buildings Insurance and Proximity of Trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

When getting a quote for buildings insurance, does the proximity of trees usually refer to the trunk or the branches?

Got a tree more than 5m away, but actually quite close when the branches are taken into account.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if you wish to be "securely" insured and not give them an excuse to wriggle out of a claim then you need to discuss/clarify this with your insurance company.
However for what its worth I always understood that a tree`s root system pretty much mirrors its branches, so the roots are getting pretty close to your house!!!

However for what its worth I always understood that a tree`s root system pretty much mirrors its branches, so the roots are getting pretty close to your house!!!

Can apply to most broad leaf trees, but conifers tend to have root influence the reflects their height.. (in clay)

Sponsored Links
if you wish to be "securely" insured and not give them an excuse to wriggle out of a claim then you need to discuss/clarify this with your insurance company.

Yeah I'll definately need to clarify. Our current insurers (through our bank/mortgage provider) didn't ask. I'm just running through some quotes and it's coming up fairly often as a question.

I doubt the roots are a problem as the street was built around the trees 20 years ago. The trees are I'd guess hundreds of years old. I was assured during our initial searches that construction took into account the trees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back