Built by real tradesmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been doing some work in a old pub thats under refurb and the whole place is gutted , it was probably built between 1850-1900 as a guess ..we had to lift floorboards up some have been up in the past to install gas water pipes and electric cables but some of the ones had never been up and it was only when you are taking these up you realise the quality of the workmanship,although not t/g every joint was perfect the underneath every joist was exactly the same spacing also when we reached the gable end the mortar joints in the brickwork on the inside being hidden was done to perfection...alot of care and attention has gone into this and it would of been nice to find a time capsule ..when we have finished next week we are going to leave some( bit boring i know) ..I have worked in other properties built in the last 50 years and the quality of the work is shocking compared to the guys who built the pub...yesteryears tradesmen,todays cowboys

Sponsored Links
When I worked for the local council, we had a contract, replacing entry gates on terraced properties. The old frames for these had been in since new (mid to late 1800's) They had been put in using timber wedges and cut nails.
Took us longer to take the old frames out than it did to put the new ones in.
One lad actually bent his prise bar trying to get the old frames out.
I have worked on old Victorian properties, and trying to get the floorboards up was a nightmare. Solidly fixed etc. Trying to get original skirting boards off was very difficult. Must have took some Victorian tradesman a day to skirt one room in the old days, timber wedges, sawn off then nailed.

In those days materials were very expensive and labour was very cheap - it's completely reversed today. That's why today's builds are rubbish.

I've spent all of my working life in restoration and have worked in buildins ranging from medieavel through georgian, victorian and 20th century and in general I agree that more time was spent getting the job done right. However, that's not to say all old buildings are well built. I've seen my share of dodgy builds, out of square or plumb walls with almost no bonding holding up beams with all of 20mm bearing, timbers not fixed and paneling hiding all manner of horrors.

Sponsored Links
I stayed in a victorian building in Edinburgh and always admired the carved staircase and looked at the detail and work that went into it, not a bit of b+q stuff in sight also the high ceiling and coving was first class

But what would it cost to build today?

Cement for a staircase!!!!!!!!! now I know who the cowboys are :D :D :D

we were working in an old house(approx 100 years old) and the sparky found a back box made of ply that had been dovetailed all round,they were absolutley spot on,sparky reckons it was an apprentice piece and said that they are test pieces given to them by the head joiner/carpenter.

could you imagine doing that now,sorry m8.replacement socket/back box cost about 300 quid, :LOL:

we were working in an old house(approx 100 years old) and the sparky found a back box made of ply that had been dovetailed all round,they were absolutley spot on,sparky reckons it was an apprentice piece and said that they are test pieces given to them by the head joiner/carpenter.

could you imagine doing that now,sorry m8.replacement socket/back box cost about 300 quid, :LOL:

ply...... :) :) :)

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello to an old relic on here.

Hello Geraint! :LOL:

How you keeping bud?

ply...... :) :) :)

:oops: was meant to have written,looked like ply.

Sponsored Links
Back