Built in MDF wardrobe hinge questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm designing and building some built in mdf wardrobes to fit in an alcove approx 1290mm wide and 2500mm high.
I'm doing it to create quite a simple minimalist look, the left side will be shelves created from boxed mdf and on the right will be hanging rails.
Doors I want to be completely floor to ceiling.
So, my questions are:
- I plan to build all from 24mm mdf, is that ok?
- How exactly do I design the hinge attachment to a frame of some sort? I want to use blum type concealed kitchen hinges but wonder what to attach them to as the 'edge' of the wardrobe will be right on the wall so I dont think there will be the clearance?
If anyone has any pics of this type of hinge attachment or can explain I'd be very grateful.
Thanks,
Damo

Sponsored Links
24mm is quite thick and will weigh a lot...18 is plenty. If you are designing the whole thing as basically a big box then I assume the sides will be mdf also...The side panels will be all you require for fixing the hinges to....you may have to put a filler strip(18mm mdf) down the sides if anything obstructs the door from opening. just use your kitchen units as a guide to where to put the hinges, you will also require the correct drill bit for the hinges. good luck

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about not having 'side' and just using the wall as I thought it would be a bit cleaner and easier should the walls not be exactly true. Though what you say about making it a big mdf box would solve the problem so perhaps that's what I should do.

Or maybe just a slightly thicker baton down the wall to mount the hinges on?

Assuming you have a skirting running along one wall that goes into the alcove then the edge of the door will have to clear this. And also assuming you want to use lay-on doors then you will need a batten that is the skirting thickness plus 18mm for the usualy overlap on lay-on doors. This will need to be at least 80mm wide to give sufficient width so the hinge does not hang over the back.

Or as said above build boxes and fill the gap between box and wall with a batten.

You can't get 24mm MDf and the next up is 25mm which can start to give clearance issues with concealed hinges. I would go for 22mm MDF preferably moisture resistant and you will also have to get larger press sheets 3050x1220 if you want to go floor to ceiling (just watch for any coving or downlighters)

You will want approx six hinges per door at that width/height/thickness

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I get that I need to clear skirting and will need to build out to clear this but am not sure about what you mean re batten and lay on doors (new to all this...).

Do you have any pics or plans so I can get it clear in my head.

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back