Built in wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I have a chimney breast in the middle of my bedroom wall so I am planning on fitting sliding doors ans building a wardrobe.

The sliding doors are not a problem - buying them from ahhhhhh
B&Q - wouldn't usually go near the place but they have a sale on at the minute and the doors are fine.

My question is to do with the shelving construction.
What would be the best way to fix shelves and dividers in the wardrobe.
I was considering using the likes of KD joints!! is this the wrong way to go and would i be better to use dowels and glue?
Also with the likes of a vertical divider running from the floor to the ceiling - what is the best way to attach this to the floor and ceiling?

Thanks for any input on this...

If anyone has any other suggestions/ designs or ideas please let me know.

The only way to get better is to listen to those who already know....

Sponsored Links
Have a look here and click onto > Diy Projects > "BUILDING A TIMBER CUPBOARD".

May give you some idea to start you off, if not get back to us.

Checked it out its not really what i was thinking of.
I am planning on using one side of the chimney breast and an outside wall along with the ceiling and floor as my frame.
All I was going to do was then within theis space put some shelves, some drawers and a couple of rails.

My ceiling height is 2360 mm and my width is 1760 mm with the cupboard depth being approx. 450 mm.

I usually make a "box" or series of "boxes" out of Melamine faced chipboard with the total width just less than the opening. The boxes stand on a timber frame which can be packed level and screwed to the floor. The boxes then sit on the frame and are screwed to the side walls with packers to take up any uneven gaps, also fix into the ceiling as required (may need noggins)

Then fix a face frame and skirting/plinth and cornice as required.

Have a look here for a few of mine

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/

Jason

Sponsored Links
All look very nice and professional,
the only thing is none of them show the inside of them clearly or the stages of them being built.

You don't have anything like that? (says me with a brass neck - next i'll be asking you to build them)

Cheers.

Another quick question!!!
For your inside vertical panels that run from the floor to the ceiling and divide the sections of the wardrobe - what do you find is the best way to attach this panel to the base and the top / ceiling???

In fact when you put in the shelves how do you attach them? do you just use standard dowels and wood glue or do you have a better method?

Thanks again.

I went around loads of furniture shops & outlets picking up as many brochures detailing built-in wardrobes as I could. I then took the various designs & layouts than I liked & put them together to come up with a design that gave me the storage I needed & fitted into space I had.

Most of the actual fittings I used came from Ikea, but as the space I was working in was not as uniform as those in the brochures (it was a walk-in cupboard & over-stairs space) I had to chop & change the fittings to suit.

Looks good now though and I was able to get rid of other bits of storage furniture that were cluttering up a small bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back