Bulb shattered now no lights in the house work

The 2 white ones both have 5 amp wire in them - running from 1 screw, through the middle and then to another screw.

At least I now know what a 'carrier' is :)

Sponsored Links
Yep, sometimes although the wire appears to be there it has snapped at a stress point - have seen it a couple of times.
What is in the other consumer unit behind the vacuum hose?

The 2 additional boxes are:

The far left behind the vacuum is for the electric shower (or so it say's!).

The one next to that has 2 fuses in, one for the imerrsion heater (the unit which is no longer around following the fitting of a combi) and 1 spare.

What are the White Carriers?
I think they mean the ones with the white spots.

Have you also checked the devices under the perspex cover, in the unit about the main one?

Finally, that looks like a fused switch down on the bottom right. What does that feed? Turn it off and unscrew and pull the cover off, there'll be another fuse holder under there.

Sponsored Links
turn the power off and try swapping the two white ones.

turn the power back on and see if some lights have started working and others have stopped.

p.s it maybe an idea to get some 5A fuse wire first, just incase you end up with no lights !

OK - I shall be back soon.

Power going to go off!!

Luckily there pack of unopened wire here which has 5A in (or perhaps this is not a good omen!).

While the lighting problem can probably be solved by replacing the fuse wire, you need to get an electrician to look at the rest of that mess.

The metal fusebox needs to be replaced - that heat damaged fuse will have caused further damage inside.

As there is an electric shower connected to one of the other fuseboxes, it is likely the shower was connected to the metal one originally, it then overheated and someone fitted a new box for the shower, leaving the ruined metal fusebox in place.

I bet the lighting is fed from that MEM box in the bottom right hand corner.

THANK YOU ALL

I have lights :)

On the bottom right box there was a 30A fuse which I could not budge.

Gave up with that and tried switching the 2 white carriers around - lights work!!

Looking carefully could see that the fuse had broken just next to the screw - me originally I had been looking at the middle section.

Replaced the wire, switched them back and here we are. No idea what the other white one did but I don't care!!!!

Thanks to you all - really appriciate your help.

Have a great Sunday - I will now.

Charlotte

Well done, you now know how to replace fuse wire. Simple when you know how but there are lots of people out there who wouldn't have had a clue.

I'm a bit concerned about the 30A fuse you said you couldn't budge, and has always looked a bit black. Please try to get an electrician round to look at it.

I agree with mikeyd. One day that fuse may blow and you won't be able to budge it to fix it.
in any case its in a potentially dangerous state.
We'll all sleep easier knowing that you'll get someone in to fix it!

Point taken guys.

I'll get someone booked in - at least it will not be a Sunday emergancy call out!!

Once again thanks for all your comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back