Bumble Bees - not quite "In The Garden"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting this in the Garden section as it's about bees and I think it's the best place for it, but the question is not particularly about the Garden at all.

I have a veritable army of big bumbly bees coming and going from an air brick (underfloor ventilation - Victorian terrace) - fat, slow moving black and dark orange bodied things. They've clearly set up home under there as in the late evening I can hear the low buzzing droney noise of them coming through the lounge floor.

I've no problem with them, they're completely docile - I've had them land on me in the garden and caught the few that have ventured into the house in my hands as they mindlessly butt into windows and carried them back outdoors, no stings yet.

The question is more about if any harm could come to the sub floor structure of the house having them in there? As far as I can tell from my limited seaching they just attach their nest constructions to joists or floorboards rather than consume them.

Could their construction block the air brick and compromise the underfloor ventilation? (One front air brick, one rear).

I'd really rather leave them alone as they seem harmless and are an amusing spectator sport when having an evening beer outside with their apparent haphazard navigation. :D

Sponsored Links
No, they don't cause harm, are highly unlikely to block the vent as the nest will probably be some way in, attached to a joist (hence why you can hear under the floorboards. In any case, the nests are usually very small and only last a few months and are then abandoned when the queen leaves. They are not re-used (although another queen may well find the site again another year.
Just leave well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back