Bunker renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my kitchen has a coal bunker underneath.

it was open to the elements save a plastic tarpaulin, ie no door on it.

my kitchen floor and the whole kitchen gets REALLY cold in winter.

So, I am putting a door on it but can’t see how that solves it as it won’t be airtight and still feel like it will still be cold.

someone suggested insulating it from below in the coal bunker. I could easily do this as there are bare joists with a pathetic amount of old fibreglass stapled to it.

however, there’s no cross airflow in the bunker. It’s a brick box with a door.

I suppose air comes in the door and then goes up through the cracks in floorboards?

Will this be ok to bang cellotex between joists and fibreglass the other bits?

or do I cellotex most of it and leave a couple of gaps so air can flow up to the kitchen?

not sure how to insulate without introducing damp and therefore rot to the joists. The joists already are high on moisture content compared to the rest of the house (presume because the coal bunker has been somewhat open to the elements)

thanks

Sponsored Links
As your floor is suspended are there no wall air vents already present?

Floor insulation alone will not make the kitchen warm.

What is the wall make up? Cavity/solid brick? Is this already insulated? Guessing not.

What is the wall make up? Cavity/solid brick? Is this already insulated? Guessing not.

suspended wood floor above coal bunker.

coal bunker is brick with no insulation, no air vents

Sponsored Links

61DA0B7C-3121-4E68-9AA6-7753B9429B3E.jpeg
See pic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back