Burglar Alarm Installations & Part P

That's right, Spark.

And because a kitchen is NOT a special location (and can't be a special installation) ELV is not notifiable.

Part P says you don't need to notify "Work not in a special location on telephone, ELV etc... It does NOT say "Work in a kitchen or special location..." as it does for adding lighting points etc.

Sponsored Links
ebee said:
OH YES YOU DO!

I fit alarms every day, we generally install a 12v PIR's in Kitchens, without notifiacation!

As a company we cannot be seen to be breaking the law, and I've never been told to avoid kitchens as yet.

From Part 2 of SI2004:3210
[code:1]
from: DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

3. Work on -

(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

(b) equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a).

"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2."
[/code:1]

So as far as the SI is concerned, it does not mention kitchen and hence the formentioned (3a) type of wiring is NOT notifiable when being installed in a kitchen.

Sponsored Links
offroader said:
ebee said:
OH YES YOU DO!

I fit alarms every day, we generally install a 12v PIR's in Kitchens, without notifiacation!

As a company we cannot be seen to be breaking the law, and I've never been told to avoid kitchens as yet.

alarm companies always have and always will work to their own rules

breezer said:
alarm companies always have and always will work to their own rules

Electricians always have and always will invent extra rules and laws, and that includes NICEIC.

Maybe because the IEE writes the rules and only engineers, not electricians, can be IEE members. Similarly with laws, mutatis mutandis.

Trouble is, the invented rules and laws arn't published so the public can't find out what they are.

Actually I might have misunderstood kitchen or special location to mean kitchen and special location.
I so, then I stand corrected.
But at least a bathroom is notifiable then.
Does nobody fit shock sensors to bathroom windows?
Do they notify?
That is notifiable

ebee said:
Does nobody fit shock sensors to bathroom windows?
Do they notify?
That is notifiable

We dont fit anything in bathrooms, you could always fit volt free contacts though.

Volt free ? connected to alarm and tamper zones? not volt free and they are part of a signalling or communication system therefore notifiable

alarms and similar are not notifiable

the fused connection unit may be, but the alarm itself is not notifiable

like i said, alarm companies have their own rules.

what makes you say that they are notifiable though? they are only 12v, (although as i said the fcu may be notifiable), but not the alarm, besides who is going to check it? electricians, bco, can't -not qualified to- alarms have their own rules

Spark123 said:
From Part 2 of SI2004:3210
[code:1]
from: DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

3. Work on -

(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

(b) equipment associated with the wiring referred to in sub-paragraph (a).

"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2."
[/code:1]

and your point?

an alarm is not elv

and as i said who can check it, electricians cant, bco, cant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back