Burning Garden Waste ( Hours Laws )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the laws regarding the hours that are approved for the
Burning of garden waste ?
This year I`ve got far more than in years past.
Since selling my trailor ( it was a godsend for taking garden waste
To the local council tip ) I `ve no option but to get my home made
Garden incinerator `cracking`.

Thanks for replies.

Lewis Doubtfire

Sponsored Links
No laws against except 'nuisance' under the enviromental protection act...

So use your common sense and be considerate...

If you've got the space why not compost it? If you really must burn it, don't be like the inconsiderate arse near me who seems to wait until there's been a good soaking, the wind is blowing in our direction and we have washing on the line.

Sponsored Links
I always found this a bit of a tricky issue where neighbours are concerned. Quite simply somebody will always get upset about something you do that is not what you normally do.

In 09 I started landscaping the rear garden & decided it was far easier to burn it all rather that making 10 trips a day to the tip.

I looked into the laws to make sure I didn't upset anybody & couldn't find any times to burn or not to burn but was pretty sure that there was some unwritten rule that says burn your rubbish after 6pm. So I waited till after 6pm, checked that none of my neighbours had their washing out & that it wasn't windy as hell. Lit a fire, about 20 mins later the wind picked up a little & sent some smoke across the road & up the gardens a few times (you can't control the wind). Sure enough the neighbours started the moaning, even phoning each other to find out who was burning rubbish :eek: A couple of weeks later there was an article in the village news sheets about having fires in your garden & to be considerate to others. I have a feeling this was aimed at me due to not noticing or smelling any other fires in the village those few weeks.

The thing is I only had about 5 in total, never had any before or had any since but people still moaned at the time. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back