Burning smell in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I posted on here about a month ago to get advice about the fuse rating, cable etc for a 9.5kw Gainsborough Electric Shower.

I got the appropriate advice in terms of new RCD, Split load CB, cable etc so then got a spark in to give me an estimate.

The cost for everything would have been about £700 in view of the need for the 10mm cable probably to go on the outside wall with appropriate armour etc. (problem with noggins in pasterboard that I had not anticipated) The spark was very helpful and appreciated that it was an expensive job in the circumstances (want to sell the house, able to use the shower despite 30AMP fuse, old Mem 3 CB, only have 6mm cable etc etc) It was obvious that he was giving me official and unofficial advice and the latter was that we could probably get away with the new CB with RCD etc without the new cable which was going to be a real mother.

This was about a month ago and we decided to think about it. Shower has been used twice a day since and works fine. However, we both detected a very obvious burning/friction type smell yesterday in the bathroom and it worries me a bit.

Does it sound like the 6mm cable could be melting? Would this be the first warning before a fire? I am about to check in our loft. Is it more likely to show on the cable form the CB to the swotch or from the switch to the shower?

(I was advised that the worst thing would be that the 30AMP fuse might blow periodically)

Will probably have to downgrade the shower to 7.5 KW but would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it has come on suddenly then I would have a look at the connections at the shower switch - loose connections can cause heat build-up which can cause the plastic switch and nearby insulation to melt.

If the connections are fine (tight and not scorched) then check the connections at the shower.

Remember to turn off the electric before removing any covers etc.

the overheating is most likely to be at a connection, usually the ceiling switch.

If you turn off the power and look inside you may find the black (always the black!) wire has overheated and is loose in its terminal. If so, it would eventually burn away.

If so, you will need a new switch, and to cut back the overheated part of the wire and use an undamaged part.

edited: bah, too slow!

p.s. it is important that you do not have loft insulation over the shower cable or switch, as this will encourage heat build-up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back