Burning under hearth ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old property has a couple of fireplaces with sunken hearths. I want to have waxed floorboards so at the very least I needed to level it.

See pictures showing sunken level - approx 2cm at worst point.

sunken hearth 1.PNG sunken hearth 2.PNG

So I ripped it up - the tiles, the cracked slab, ...

And found the cause of the sinking problem was that the joist and several of wood boards were burnt through (see pics)

sunken hearth 3.PNG sunken hearth 4.PNG

These were the wooden board that supported the cement slab (that cracked later).

So my question ... WTF,, there was fire under the hearth ????

Thanks
Chris

ps: and now I'm like this. Ready to rebuild )))

sunken hearth 5.PNG

Sponsored Links
The Great Fire of London was caused by tiny embers slipping through cracks in the stone hearth.

The ground floor chimney breast front hearth (your hearth) should be made from stone or concrete supported on a surrounding fender wall. Typically the fender wall is brick with an in-fill of soil.

The hearth should never be laid on wood - over wood - or supported by wood.

However, many hearths, like yours, were supported on wood - or wood floor boards were extended almost into the fireplace opening.

What you have done by way of a sand and cement infill is fine but was it laid on a membrane to prevent damp from coming up?
I presume its finished just below FFL to allow for the new patch of wood flooring?

There are other concerns ref. venting and sweeping flues - FWIW: why not research some of my previous posts on these subjects; you might find them useful?

Note: i've worked on c/breasts & flues with similar or far worse charred and smoked woodwork that should have burned the house down but didn't. To see what dangerous rubbish builders are capable of google: victorian hearth construction

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back