Burnt out boiler timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've been using a Grasslin Towerchron QE1 immersion heater timer since moving into this house about 9 months ago, without problem. We only have the boiler (3kw) turned on for half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening using the timer. About a week ago, we came home to find it completely burnt out.. the plastic around the live feed to the boiler was melted completely beyond use. The wires from the timer to the boiler only look like 1.5mm, is that big enough?

So I've gone on eBay and bought a new QE2, and wired this in. I've trimmed the wires back to remove any damaged bits etc. Switched it on this morning and it seems to be working. Went back 15 minutes later and I've noticed this timer is also getting very hot, almost to the point of burning the skin. I'm thinking this can't be normal, but then I am not sure what to do about it next. The main heat seems to be coming from inside the timer itself and not the area around the connector. Does that sound like another timer fault? I never really paid attention to how hot the old timer was getting until being hit my the smell of melted plastic. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Liam

Sponsored Links
It would appear that these timers are not suitable for immersion heaters but are intended for use with boilers.

You need a 16A timer that will be marked as intended for immersion heaters.

The cable you mention will be sufficient for the current although normally a 2.5mm² heat-proof cable is used. Again, this will be marked as specifically for immersion heaters if you are using the DIY outlets.

example

To remove confusion: Boilers are (usually) white boxes hung on the wall.
Immersion heaters are elements fixed in a water tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back