Burst Water Supply in back Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I hope this is posted in the right section. I was wondering if someone could advise me, on how to go about sorting out this nightmare...

Basically, I have a burst water supply in my back garden, as far as I'm aware its not my water supply pipe, it is my Neighbours pipe which is in my boundary and it sits under the concrete in my garden!

Since the leak we have no change in water in the house (i.e. no pressure drop and dirty water etc.). For a further check we have also closed the toby valve (Stop Cock Valve) in the back garden which shuts off all water to our property, this has made no difference to the leak.. Which makes me think it is the Neighbours pipe.

Before anyone says that I should maybe have a chat with the Neighbours :) I have already done this before as this is not the first time this has happened.

It has happened on four occassions during the last two years. They have had it repaired once because the leak was in a different location and it was sitting half-way in their boundary and half-way in mine(not far from the the existing leak and on the same supply pipe).
On the three other occassions I have had to call out the Plumber (mainly due to no-one bothering about it, wastage of water and the leak being more in my boundary).

What is the correct action to take and who is responsible in this situation?

Really appreciate any help folks

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i'd get in touch with your water supplier, have them put a separate supply to your property and cut off the communal supply, this will encourage your neibour to do the same,

You dont say where you are but you could report it to the water supplier as a water leak is illegal!

Tony

i'd get in touch with your water supplier, have them put a separate supply to your property and cut off the communal supply, this will encourage your neibour to do the same,

Sorry forgot to mention this, I have contacted the Water Supplier many times (on all occassions). When they send the Engineers out, they come round and just tell us off by saying anything that is after or before (?) the toby valve on the street, is between the Neighbours and us to sort out and isn't their problem!

A Water Board Engineer also checked the toby in our back Garden, which again made no difference to the leak when turned on or off. He said it is not your supply and couldn't really advise us on who's responsibility it should be...

ps: Would I be responsible/liable for the costs to have a seperate supply to my property? I don't want to spend too much, but if this provides a better solution and isn't too expensive then I am prepared to give it a go...

Sponsored Links
You dont say where you are but you could report it to the water supplier as a water leak is illegal!

Tony

I would report it, but I'm not sure who is responsible for this in this situation. It could backfire on me, hence me asking for advice to have this resolved as soon as possible and also establish who's responsibilty it is...

I dont know where you get this word "toby valve".

The repair is the responsibility of the property to whom the water is supplied.

However, its illegal to have water leaking and you can report it to the water supplier who can and should serve a notice on the owner of the property to get it fixed within xxx days.

Seperately if you can show that the leaking water is damaging your property then you can sue them for damages ( after writing a "letter before action" )

Tony

I dont know where you get this word "toby valve".

The repair is the responsibility of the property to whom the water is supplied.

However, its illegal to have water leaking and you can report it to the water supplier who can and should serve a notice on the owner of the property to get it fixed within xxx days.

Seperately if you can show that the leaking water is damaging your property then you can sue thm for damages ( after writing a "letter before action" )

Tony

I thought "Toby Valve" was a funny word when I first heard it :LOL: It must be the slang or Scottish term for Stop Valve Cock, I think :confused:

"The repair is the responsibility of the property to whom the water is supplied."

Does it make any difference on which persons boundary this leak is in, because it certainly isn't the supply for my property...

Thanks for the replies so far btw.

It makes no difference on whose property the leak occurs.

The pipe belongs to the water supplier up to the edge of the public road.

Usually it only then crosses the destination land but if it crosses other owerships then there should be a wayleave agreement covering it.

Nevertheless, maintenance and repairs are normally the responsibility of the user who benefits from the supply.

Any damage from escaping water to any third party land is also the responsibility of the user.

Tony

tell your neighbour to get it sorted and re routed pronto or you'll just put a cap on it.

It makes no difference on whose property the leak occurs.

The pipe belongs to the water supplier up to the edge of the public road.

Usually it only then crosses the destination land but if it crosses other owerships then there should be a wayleave agreement covering it.

Nevertheless, maintenance and repairs are normally the responsibility of the user who benefits from the supply.

Any damage from escaping water to any third party land is also the responsibility of the user.

Tony

I'm going to call the water supplier tomorrow and take it from there... I'll try and keep this thread updated.

Thanks for the help mate! Much appreciated.

tell your neighbour to get it sorted and re routed pronto or you'll just put a cap on it.

Thats easier said than done!

Just ask BP about it and how much it can cost!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back