Butane gas indoors

M

mrsyardbroom

We have been cooking with butane gas for 40 years. For the last 34 years we have used a butane gas cylinder which is located in the kitchen but not next to the gas cooker. This is perfectly legal. The last time we had a cooker installed the gas fitter threw up his hands in shock and said it can't done, however, after checking the regulations and making a call to CORGI he was told it was perfectly safe to connect the cooker with a butane bottle indoors providing he used the correct flexible rubber hose with the date on it and correct ventilation. Now we need a new cooker and the gas fitter is no longer available. The problem is, how am I going to find another gas fitter? They all say, "You can't have a gas bottle indoors" and refuse to take it any further. Can I fit the new cooker myself?

Sponsored Links
For your own peace of mind and general safety, I'd be inclined to call the Calor Gas people on 0800 181 4530.
They have all of the equipment you need, together with fitting and testing qualifications - and they can also assess the ventilation requirements for your cooker.
John :)

No you can't fit it yourself, but there are people who know the regs out there.... Butane can be indoors - propane MUST be outdoors.

I'm sure I remember something about the bottle having to be in the cupboard next to it though.

There is a small cupboard between the gas cylinder and the cooker which is only about 30cm wide. I believe it allows the cylinder to be within the required distance. The gas man we had before made a thorough check on everything as obviously he didn't to get it wrong. I'll try ringing the calor gas people and see if they can recommend anyone.

Sponsored Links
if you want to get someone to fit it get a caravan fitter to do it. and unlike mains gas you can fit it yourself
You do realise LPG is more strictly regulated than natural gas don't you ?

Plus it's more explosive :eek:

Just to clarify it for you blue cylinders ( Butane) can be used indoors
cylinder pressure is 25 lbs per sq inch, hence the cabinet heaters can be used indoors.

Propane (Red cylinders) cannot be used indoors cylinder pressure 100 lbs per sq inch.

Just get a gas fitter that knows what he's doing !

if you want to get someone to fit it get a caravan fitter to do it. and unlike mains gas you can fit it yourself

No offense totally wrong end of, illegal to do it yourself.

I did wonder about that as we use butane for cooking when camping. If you want to see how explosive it is try using a camping cooker!!! For that reason we always keep a fire extinguisher in the tent. The reason I asked if we could do it ourselves is that the pipe used to connect the present cooker is about three years old and still good and all the other fittings are new. The installation and placement of the cylinder has been OK'd so we'd just need to couple a new cooker to the current fittings.

Well, when all is done, a little soapy water brushed over any joins and connections shows up any leaks a treat :idea:
John :)

Perhaps a bit late in the day but in defence of Merlin whose comment has been removed and remaining only a disputed quote from it, just last week I confirmed with Gas Safe, Calor, and a Gas Safe registered LPG fitter, as well as reading the actual written law, that you can remove and replace a butane flexible butane hose yourself (it is exempted in the written law) not surprising as you are obliged to check the hose condition regularly and change it when necessary.

It appears therefore that as long as you didn't touch the fixed part, if there is one, of the installation, if you can remove the flexible pipe yourself it follows you should be able to substitute an old Butane prepared cooker for a new one, just as you are able to fit the hose and cylinder you are using in an old heater to a new butane heater.

We did just that and the cooker is fine. Apparently this is a very commonplace arrangement on the continent where they don't have mains gas. The man who sold us the hose used to have his cooker coupled up in the same way with no problems.

Perhaps a bit late in the day but in defence of Merlin whose comment has been removed and remaining only a disputed quote from it, just last week I confirmed with Gas Safe, Calor, and a Gas Safe registered LPG fitter, as well as reading the actual written law, that you can remove and replace a butane flexible butane hose yourself (it is exempted in the written law) not surprising as you are obliged to check the hose condition regularly and change it when necessary.

It appears therefore that as long as you didn't touch the fixed part, if there is one, of the installation, if you can remove the flexible pipe yourself it follows you should be able to substitute an old Butane prepared cooker for a new one, just as you are able to fit the hose and cylinder you are using in an old heater to a new butane heater.
Those rules are for an existing installation.... NOT a new installation.

We did just that and the cooker is fine. Apparently this is a very commonplace arrangement on the continent where they don't have mains gas. The man who sold us the hose used to have his cooker coupled up in the same way with no problems.
You fitted it and tested it with soapy water ?

So how did you test all the internal joints on the cooker that you can't get to with your soapy water ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back