Buying a house - query about internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've just had an offer accepted on a house, it needs a bit doing to it but I'm up for a challenge. Sold my 2007 Taylor Wimpey 2 bed mid terrace and bought a late 50s/early 60s Wimpey 3 bed semi - much bigger! The only thing that worried me a bit was the wall between the kitchen and the dining room has evidence of a crack in the plaster that has been repaired. It looks cosmetic to be honest, but ideally I would like to take that wall out, as the kitchen is a bit small anyway.

I have found the original plans for the house from the planning application back in 1956 for the development online. I am just wondering whether people think it would be sensible to get a structural engineer in to have a look at the wall, to see about the crack and also to look at the calculations for taking it out if its a load bearing wall.

I'm happy to pay for him to look, as I'm not having a survey done due to knowing half the stuff in the house needs replacing anyway. The one thing I didn't do (stupid I know) is to even knock the wall to see if its solid or not. The plans show foundations for most of the other walls but there doesn't seem to be any shown for the wall in question (Section A-A drawing), and it's out of line with all of the other walls. From looking at it I would assume that the first floor joists are supported off the wall across the middle of the ground floor with foundations in the section B-B drawing. But I'm only an electrician so not planned anything like this before!

Can anyone decipher from these plans

1 - Is it going to be a solid wall at all anyway?

2 - Does it look like a load bearing wall?

3 - Does my idea about getting a structural engineer in sound sensible, and does anyone have any recommendations for one in Coventry?

Thanks alot!

WimpeyW74.png

Floorplan.png

Sponsored Links
The plans show a solid wall that is not load bearing. Whether that is the case on reality is another matter.

The crack as described could be anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back