Buying a new large appliance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I learnt this the hard way today so I'd thought I'd share this.

I ordered a washing machine from a large well known catalogue store chain a few days ago. The order was taken over the phone. The order was to have the old washer taken away and the new one plumbed in by the delivery man.

Today the new washer was delivered as promised but the delivery man refused to remove the old washer and plumb in the new. His reason was that the old washer was still plumbed in. He said that I should have been informed at time of order (which I wasn't ). He said this happens all the time, the office taking the orders will never tell you about disconnecting the old machine.

So I have had to disconnect the old and plumb in myself. Not difficult but not what I ordered. I now also have an old machine to dispose of and its not going to fit in the car (a Micra)!

I complained bitterly to the office. They said they would send me a cheque for £15 for the hastle.

I'm not a happy customer!!!

Sponsored Links
Welcome Mr. Wrench. I think you should take this opportunity to name and shame your supplier. I'm guessing a big chainstore of some kind. The local family firms are generally far more accomodating, and quite often very much cheaper.

Hi TexMex

Lets just say the company name has 5 letters. Starts with A and ends with S. They've had a long run of TV adverts recently.

is it worth calling your local council to see if they will take it away for you? (ours will)

Sponsored Links
If your Council is one of those that charges for special refuse collections you can try ringing local repair engineers or shops that sell recon. washers and see if they want to take your old one for spares.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. In the end I've booked the council to take it away for £10.

i used to work in an argos store, their till system is very good at informing cashiers what they have to tell customers. The till prompts such things as "dont forget the batteries" and "not to be sold to under 15/18/12s" etc. Also informs about home delivery.

Sounds like you ordered this over the phone though. tsk. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back