Buying flat with undefloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am buying a flat that has a Devi electric underfloor heating system. The surveyor says that "elements are located within the cement floor screed but couldn't be inspected due to fitted carpets".

All rooms have Devireg 550 thermostats on walls.

I have a few questions:

1) Is it an efficient system? It seemed a good solution, saving space on the walls? However, I noted the seller had a portable electric heater in one room. Maybe underfloor heating takes a long time to start, and warming up a room for a few hours may not be practical.

2) How do I know if it's fully functional before purchasing the flat? Are those supposed to be serviced? Is it possible to get a special survey for this, with heat measurement?

3) How expensive would it be to fix if not working? I guess all the carpets would need to be removed etc? The bathroom has tiles and also underfloor heating.

4) Is there typically a warranty for this? Would it be part of the building warranty (still under 10 years old) since part of the cement floors?

5) Would it be more efficient to replace the carpets by hard wood floors? I don't really know if the carpets were changed after the underfloor was installed, and if their thickness is optimal for underfloor heating

Many thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
its expensive to run, needs to be on hours before you need it but is generally very reliable. Some older systems in flats dont always work that well.

Sponsored Links
(a) Depends on how it was installed. You may be heating the flat below you.

(b) You'd have to ask the seller. It should be possible for an electrician to do a resistance test of the heating element and see whether it corrresponds with the supposed wattage.

(c) If it's actually embedded in the floor then fixing a break would require chiselling out the concrete and making a join in the element - if that's possible.

(d) The 10 year warranty is structural only, not for fixtures, fittings, heating etc.

(e) Possibly. However you have to consider nailing or screwing into the floor may not be possible, which may affect your choice of flooring.

May be worth reading the manufacturers instructions at
http://www.devi.co.uk/downloads/deviflex/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back