buying new sds drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need a new drill and want an sds one.

I've got some argos vouchers and have been looking at these 2:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500000701/partNumber/7110869.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...power+tools>C$cip=1500006456.Power+drills.htm

Now they both look similar, but one is descibed as an SDS drill and one is described as a rotary hammer drill??

I have heard that sds drills are much better at drillling into masonry and concrete and they can be used as chisels as well. The 900 watt drill comes with several drill bits and a chuck adapter so it looks like a good deal.

Can anyone help with my decision. Is the 1200W drill an SDS and they have just got the desciption wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find you have the same link in twice ;)

the picture shown is an sds drill.

you can hold an sds drill in one hand and drill a hole in solid concrete while dringking a cup of tea, they are that good

TBH i doubt you will finish the tea

cheap sds drill buy the look of it. doesnt specify a safety clutch on it. youll soon know how much it hurts if you use one without it

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find you have the same link in twice ;)

Changed in original post!

cheap sds drill buy the look of it. doesnt specify a safety clutch on it. youll soon know how much it hurts if you use one without it

Yeah I can't afford to spend more than £40. Will still be better than a standard drill though won't it?

Depends what you want it for. If it for an odd bit of DIY drilling holes then they will probably do. If you are wanting it to do industrial work with on the other hand it will probably not be up to it.
If you want to use larger drill bits or diamond cores then a clutch is a must. If you can imagine, drill spinning full speed, drill bit snags, drill keeps on spinning, the weakest bit is your arm!!
Both come with a chuck and adaptor?

Depends what you want it for. If it for an odd bit of DIY drilling holes then they will probably do. If you are wanting it to do industrial work with on the other hand it will probably not be up to it.
If you want to use larger drill bits or diamond cores then a clutch is a must. If you can imagine, drill spinning full speed, drill bit snags, drill keeps on spinning, the weakest bit is your arm!!
Both come with a chuck and adaptor?

Yes it is DIY general household use.

A clutch would be a bonus, but I used an ordinary drill with a TCT attachment to core out 45mm waste pipe hole through wall before and never had an arm wrenching moment so for the money will have to take the chance.

Is it going to be better than a normal hammer drill? If so then its worthwhile.

danlightbulb said:
Is it going to be better than a normal hammer drill? If so then its worthwhile.

you can hold an sds drill in one hand and drill a hole in solid concrete while dringking a cup of tea, they are that good

TBH i doubt you will finish the tea

danlightbulb said:
A clutch would be a bonus, but I used an ordinary drill with a TCT attachment to core out 45mm waste pipe hole through wall before and never had an arm wrenching moment so for the money will have to take the chance.

wait till it happens then see how much of a bonus you wish it was. totally different to a normal drill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back