By Law I must have new rads

They quoted me over £11000 for Heat Pump, Hot water cylinder & 5 Rads....for a 2 bed bungalow in Penzance where we seldom get 0* in Winter.
What sort of house can they install all this for £2999.- as advertised? Wendy?
A house where the pipework and rads have already been installed to perform satisfactorily with low flow temperature of course.

EDIT Presumably hot water cylinders have to be oversize (so the lower water temperature doesn't translate to 'not enough for a bath'?

Sponsored Links
Interesting -

And that's with a 200L cylinder with mechanicals and electricals, cant understand how they get to an extra 8K to install pipework and rads to suit.

I think you want to get a breakdown in writing of the estimate. Is the £11K on top of the grant?

...over £11000 minus grant.The Utility companies are Nationwide.....but most are "not in your area".. I did a fair bit of Plumbing when I was younger so know a bit about what needs doing...and these quotes are out of order........no wonder there is Slow Uptake with the grant.......

Sponsored Links
Presumably hot water cylinders have to be oversize (so the lower water temperature doesn't translate to 'not enough for a bath'?
No, hot water cylinders are sized to the hot water demand.
They are heated to the same temperature as any other cylinder.

Some only heat to ~ 40C with HP running at 45C and just boost to 60C once/week for legionella protection.

Today, Just got a different agent at British Gas……..quoted much the same ..a bit over 6 grand……..but she says after the survey they can reduce the price if it is found I don’t need new pipework and rads………

A house where the pipework and rads have already been installed to perform satisfactorily with low flow temperature of course.

EDIT Presumably hot water cylinders have to be oversize (so the lower water temperature doesn't translate to 'not enough for a bath'?

Fitting an “oversize” hot water cylinder won’t make 45-50 degrees of heat pump flow temperature hotter.

Fitting an “oversize” hot water cylinder won’t make 45-50 degrees of heat pump flow temperature hotter.
No. Most people don't have a bath at 65° so the standard 120 or whatever tank is good for 160 cos cold has been blended in at the bath. If the source is cooler then less cold will be added so bigger cylinder needed was my thought- it was a question not a statement :)

You mention "bigger rads" but we don't know how big your old ones are.

It is quite common for older installations, and new ones by penny-pinching housebuilders, to have inadequate radiators.

BG engineer arrived today 5 weeks early for our appointment. I immediately asked what sort of house could BG fit out for their advertised £2999...he said " a 2 bed bungalow with underfloor heating"....He spends 2 hours measuring everything up.......then hands me the quote..£15277 - £5000 grant...so I have to pay £10277!! .... I asked how can you justify that just because I have radiators...he then says "I don't know how BG can do it for their advertised price......I said "no chance". He left, and I noticed he'd left a folder. I messaged him and later he came back.........with a better offer!!! .......Cut out the "Power Flush" saving £2320 and a couple of adjustments so my part is now down to £6999.-. I asked about leaving existing rads but he said "No, must have bigger rads.....but not by Law...as the 1st BG Rep. had told me"....... I forgot to tell him that when the 2nd BG Rep. phoned, she quoted just over 6 grand....but said it could be less if I do not need new rads or pipework.....We live in Penzance, in a 2 bed semi-detached Bungalow, fully insulated & Double glazed .......I have my Combi boiler on 5 and the water in the rads is 50 degrees and we have no problems with our Double Radiators............BG seem to be too big and the left hand does not know what the right is doing. ...I intend to make a formal complaint and try and find out how big their advertised house is .....

Last edited:
He quoted me for a Daikin 4kw ASHP R32 £4719,,,,,,,,,,,,on line same R32 from £1000 to Max. £3000...........a good mark up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back