bypass or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everybody,
In my living room I have a32" panasonic tv 100hz which is fed by virgin cable, the picture is excellent, no probs.
Also have 2x 26"panasonic with freeview in other rooms, but these 2 run of basic aerials, on a pole and are fine most of the time, but occassionally the picture goes squiffy, or it freezes, or I get "no signal"....both these tv's cables go to the tv wall socket, then alittle lead to back of tv.
I was reading a similar post, and ANDYMET 87 reccomended a mains amplifier in the loft, do you think this would help in my situation? and Ialso read that I dont need one with a bypass?, which gives a stronger output signal?....can one of you guys point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks Steve.

Sponsored Links
Bypass is for a Sky remote "magic eye". Pointless if you don't have one.

both these tv's cables go to the tv wall socket, then alittle lead to back of tv.
Do you mean each TV has a fly-lead and the two go to a 'Y' splitter connected to the wall socket? A splitter obviously splits the signal so each TV gets only half. Not a good method!

An amplifier is required if the cable run is long or if the signal has to be split to more than one TV. Explained here:
http://www.satcure.net/reviews/review94.htm#04

Sam Gangee,
Hi Sam, both of these 2 tv's have there own independant aeriels,and cables, each cable goes to its own wall socket box close to the tv, and then a small link cable to the tv.
Both aeriels are the bog standard types on a pole about 6ft up from gutter level.
Maybe I should try aeriels with a higher gain?
Thanks.

Why two aerials? (This is like having two bicycles - one for each foot.)

Does the "panasonic tv 100hz" have a third aerial? If so, that's ridiculous and probably illegal. Simply run all three TVs off the best performing aerial.

Sponsored Links
SAM,
The 32"tv runs of virgin cable, no aeriel.
You ask why 2 aeriels for the other 2 tv's?.....what is the alternative?
thanks.

No, I mean you should only ever need a single aerial unless your house is so enormous that the cable run would be excessive.

One aerial and a distribution system is the right way....but it takes more time, and time, as we all know, is money. The simple fact is that given the choice of doing it right or having a quick cheap solution. Well we all know the rest. ;)

The loft amp is one solution and it will give the signal a little boost too. I am surprised though that the direct feed from a professionally installed dedicated aerial isn't strong enough. A meter will show the signal strength across the various muxes and any level problems can be addressed during the install with the appropriate masthead amps and attenuators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back